Thread: Installation Failed - Dark Screen on iMac Mid-2010

Beans

Installation Failed - Dark Screen on iMac Mid-2010

Greetings.

I'm a Linux user for a long time, but I stayed away since Ubuntu Netbook Edition. I've been using iMac Mid-2010 for the last 10 years, and since I'm not planning on giving my kidneys for an up-to-date machine, and since the one I have serves me well enough, I would like to install Ubuntu Studio 20.04. I'm a podcaster and I'm beginning to edit videos for online courses.

My problem is this: I burnt the .iso on a DVD, and my iMac doesn't recognize it (I'm using an external DVD drive because the original just died). I tried three times to flash the image into an USB flash drive, but when I boot it and choose to run Ubuntu from the flash drive (safe graphics or not), I get a dark screen, forcing me to restart my computer.

As I said, I have an iMac 21.5", mid 2010; Intel i3 3.06GHz, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3; 500GB HD; ATI Radeon HD 4670 256MB.

Can anyone help me, please?

Beans

Re: Installation Failed - Dark Screen on iMac Mid-2010

So when you boot the computer with the disk inserted are you holing down the "c" key?

Beans

Firstly, Macs are designed to use only Apple so that's a difficulty right there. You tried to put the Ubuntu iso on a usb, How? What software or method did you use? How did you try to boot the usb/dvd? Don't you need to use something like the Option key (see link below)? Never used a Mac so can't really help anymore, good luck.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/usb-boot/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Apple Hardware Users.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daniewicz View Post
    So when you boot the computer with the disk inserted are you holing down the "c" key?
    I did as reccomended. I managed to install the Ubuntu Studio. However, after the reboot, I get a black screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Firstly, Macs are designed to use only Apple so that's a difficulty right there. You tried to put the Ubuntu iso on a usb, How? What software or method did you use? How did you try to boot the usb/dvd? Don't you need to use something like the Option key (see link below)? Never used a Mac so can't really help anymore, good luck.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/articles/usb-boot/
    I managed to install, but after the reboot, I get a black screen.