Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [18.04] Remove Livepatch Icon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question [18.04] Remove Livepatch Icon

Hi All

Is it possible to remove the Livepatch icon from the "Show Applications" window? Also, if certain icons are not appearing in the correct group (say "Utilities") although that are shown as being in that group, is there another way to move them into that group?

Beans

Re: [18.04] Remove Livepatch Icon

Livepatch Icon: I suggest you add a NotShowIn=Gnome; to it's .desktop file. That should prevent it showing in the display, search or any other menu.

You can drag and drop Icon tiles onto a Group tile and it will add into that group. Also I suspect you can drag an Icon from one Group tile to another. Another way to handle all this is to install gnome-appfolders-manager.
    Last edited by Dennis N; 1 Week Ago at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Livepatch Icon: I suggest you add a NotShowIn=Gnome; to it's .desktop file. That should prevent it showing in the display, search or any other menu.
    Sorry, could you explain what you mean by this.

You can drag and drop Icon tiles onto a Group tile and it will add into that group. Also I suspect you can drag an Icon from one Group tile to another. Another way to handle all this is to install gnome-appfolders-manager.
    With 18.04, it does not allow me to do that. I have to click on the tick icon (top right), select the app and then add or move to a folder. The apps in question are showing that they are already in the required folder (grey tag underneath) but visibly, they are not. I'll install the app mentioned.

Thanks for your advice.

Beans

You would edit /usr/share/applications/software-properties-livepatch.desktop

[
    Code:
    Desktop Entry]
    Keywords=Livepatch;
    Exec=/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk --open-tab=6
    Icon=livepatch
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
    Categories=GTK;Settings;HardwareSettings
    X-AppStream-Ignore=true
    Name=Livepatch
    Comment=Manage Canonical Livepatch
    Keywords=Security;Update;
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=software-properties
    Change the red line to: NotShowIn=GNOME;
    Then see of it worked.
    Last edited by Dennis N; 1 Week Ago at 06:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks, that did the trick. Rather than installing additional software and moving icons, I may hide the others. How would I find out the names required to edit? The icons are Language Support, Input Method and Help.

Beans

All three of those you mention are in /usr/share/applications. Just browse in that folder and you will see them. If you want to hide them, do the same thing with their .desktop files as with Livepatch.

If you only want to keep them out of the 'Show Applications' display (they will still appear in search results), you can tuck them away unseen in an AppFolder. Besides the program I mentioned, there is also a gnome extension that can create new AppFolders and/or move a tile into or out of an AppFolder. It's called AppFolders management extension. I tried it in 18.04 and can report it works fine.

Your choice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    All three of those you mention are in /usr/share/applications. Just browse in that folder and you will see them. If you want to hide them, do the same thing with their .desktop files as with Livepatch.
    The problem is that I didn't see them (visually) or the file you mentioned. I had to type the path in manually to access. Even after saving, I was unable to see this file. What I am seeing looks like executables (with their icon). I tried entering the path manually for Input Method and Help but the file was empty making me think that I may have got the wrong name. I even set "show hidden files" thinking that they may have been hidden but no joy.

EDIT: Having just looked in 20.04, I can see these files you mentioned with "cog like" icons

If you only want to keep them out of the 'Show Applications' display (they will still appear in search results), you can tuck them away unseen in an AppFolder. Besides the program I mentioned, there is also a gnome extension that can create new AppFolders and/or move a tile into or out of an AppFolder. It's called AppFolders management extension. I tried it in 18.04 and can report it works fine.

Your choice.
    Tbh, I will never need to access these files/icons again, so hiding them should be ok.

Last edited by Graham1; 1 Week Ago at 06:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You ca try this steps:

Run dconf-editor.
    Go to Ubuntu update-notifier.
    Turn OFF show-livepatch-status-icon

or run terminal

gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier show-livepatch-status-icon false
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread
    Rock n' Roll People.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mIk3_08 View Post
    You ca try this steps:

Run dconf-editor.
    Go to Ubuntu update-notifier.
    Turn OFF show-livepatch-status-icon

or run terminal

gsettings set com.ubuntu.update-notifier show-livepatch-status-icon false
    Thanks for the suggestion. I did see that post but was more for the icon appearing in "Show Applications". Dennis N has resolved this with his post above. Just need to hide a few other icons now.

Beans

Finding the .desktop files:

The file manager doesn't help much as it doesn't show the actual file names of these .desktop files!
    Use the terminal. You could just look at the listing of files in the terminal and pick out, or do a search of sorts with grep: If I'm looking for 'Language Support' application, I looked for one containing 'language' in the file name:
    Code:
    dmn@Sydney:/usr/share/applications$ ls -l | grep language
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root   494 Jun 28  2019 gnome-language-selector.desktop
    So, I want to edit gnome-language-selector.desktop
    Use a text editor and edit. For me, it's easiest to use the nano editor that runs in terminal.
    Code:
    dmn@Sydney:/usr/share/applications$ sudo nano gnome-language-selector.desktop
    opens it's editing screen. If you're unfamiliar with this, you could use some other editor.

The others should be found with a similar name-guessing strategy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast