Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: groovy gorrila installer crashes

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: groovy gorrila installer crashes

@mc4man,

Thanks for these details

- CPU: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-4700MQ - This is close to my Dell Precision M4800, where I failed to boot.
    - Booted from live cd of 20.10 current - This makes a difference. I try from a USB drive, with the system cloned from the iso file.

Since my previous post here, I tried with 'grub-n-iso' alias 'isoboot' according to this link

This way I can make a bootable USB drive that boots

- both in UEFI and BIOS mode
    - both live-only and persistent live

The method is to boot into a 'grub template' and then into an iso file. So this 'grub-n-iso' method works, but a cloned drive from the sane iso file fails (when tested in the same Dell Precision M4800 as used for the tests described above).

This morning I notice that the developers have uploaded a new iso file with a fix for this bug, that i will test soon - I think and hope that it will squash the bug, because the intention is that a cloned USB drive should work

Beans
    Hidden!

Cloned Groovy USB drives boot again, at least in some of my computers

This is tested with the Lubuntu Groovy iso file '20200708.1'

Code:
    $ md5sum groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    5ad5e3bfd76a06d371d6a00a4932daca  groovy-desktop-amd64.iso
    + I tested in my Dell Precision M4800 and it works as usual in UEFI mode (and via grub) in BIOS mode.

- But the Lenovo V130 does not boot in UEFI mode and secure boot - When I select the USB drive from the temporary menu, it skips to the internal drive. This is a different failure mode compared to the previous iso files. (This computer is willing to boot from the grub-n-iso system of comment #26 in the bug report #1886148 and from cloned drives made from groovy iso files from June.)

dustinweb.azureedge.net/media/494085/v130.pdf

+ I tested in my Toshiba laptop, and it works as usual in UEFI mode with and without secure boot (and via grub) in BIOS.

www.toshiba.se/laptops/satellite-pro/c850/satellite-pro-c850-19w/

+ It works in a HP Probook 6450b with an Intel i5 M520 CPU, tested only in BIOS mode.

It will be interesting to see, if other current bugs are affected by this bug-fix aimed at Bug #1886148.
    Last edited by sudodus; July 9th, 2020 at 09:00 AM. Reason: explained 'comment #26' using link

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Made an USB boot disk with mkusb and tested the Groovy Ubuntu Desktop amd64 version 20200709.

Worked with MBR/BIOS mode on a desktop computer with an AMD Bulldozer CPU and Nvidia 1660 GPU. There were however some peculiar things
    - Graphical artifacts during the installation. Perhaps "Safe graphics mode" is needed.
    - Had to power off after the installation to boot the computer
    - At boot you get the message: BootOrder not found. Initializing default. Creating boot entry "Boot002" with label "ubuntu" for file \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

Worked as expected on a newer computer with Ryzen CPU and Radeon GPU.
    Last edited by P-I H; July 9th, 2020 at 04:02 PM.

Beans

Trying the same usb (last current, not the current current) on a much newer laptop I have it boots up to live session with no issue.
    So older fails unless safe graphics are chosen, newer doesn't. The fail is basically the can't find live media blah, blah.

So taking same usb on new machine, connecting a usb cd/dvd drive before booting, then that boot now fails with same can't find live media. My older laptop has a built-in cd/dvd drive, newer one does not have one.

Edit: the new current avail. today is even worse.
    Takes a lot longer to fail.
    Using safe graphics fails.
    On machine where previous current worked it fails also.
    So a step back..
    Last edited by mc4man; July 10th, 2020 at 02:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Trying the same usb (last current, not the current current) on a much newer laptop I have it boots up to live session with no issue.
    So older fails unless safe graphics are chosen, newer doesn't. The fail is basically the can't find live media blah, blah.

So taking same usb on new machine, connecting a usb cd/dvd drive before booting, then that boot now fails with same can't find live media. My older laptop has a built-in cd/dvd drive, newer one does not have one.

Edit: the new current avail. today is even worse.
    Takes a lot longer to fail.
    Using safe graphics fails.
    On machine where previous current worked it fails also.
    So a step back..
    Please give feedback to the developer Michael Hudson-Doyle at this bug report. I think he needs all possible information of how the boot fails in various computers in order to find where to modify the code. (See for example comment #34 in the bug report.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123