Thread: What would I need to learn and get Red Hat certified system administrator?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What would I need to learn and get Red Hat certified system administrator?

Hi am currently trying to learn Python for Coding and scripting especially for using Linux in general. I have been having problems with learning coding in Python and am planning to also learn C++ after learning the basics. I just realized I am interested in learning the red hat certified system administrator knowledge. What exactly would I need to learn and can you apply it to other Distro's and BSD? Lastly how much would it cost me to get Certified. Also is there lesser certificates that apply to the over all picture?
    quick program launch left mac type bar

Started by Omnios, December 30th, 2007 11:49 AM

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What would I need to learn and get Red Hat certified system administrator?

RH provides study guides and topics for their certs. Learn that stuff. Be certain you study for RHEL 8.
    Administration is the part of Unix that is the most different between OSes and distros. 90% of Unix is Unix. it is non-trivial to become an admin without learning to the "power user" level first. Lots of people skip the first steps and try to jump to admin level. Perhaps i'm just stupid, but it took me about 3 yrs learning Unix before i was ready for admin work. i was a C++ developer with experience on 12 platforms before then.

LPI has a few free resources to learn Linux in general. http://www.lpi.org/our-certification...certifications
    RH certs are great if you work in the financial industry.
    The First level RH cert (RHCA) is for HDD changing monkey work. You'll need at least 2 RH certs to become useful. RHCE is useful. The people with higher certs than that who I've met and worked with really knew their stuff.

You can buy a book on RHCA/RHCE and work through all the chapters over a few months. If you devour the information and remember it quickly, then being an admin would be a career choice. If you don't, then stop and find something else that interests you. Don't expect to keep all the information, but knowing where to find it on the system is important. When I need to setup something new, I'll always start by reading the manpages for that service first. Learn to use manpages ASAP. If you don't use this information and skills for a month, you will lose it all, so start running a RH-based distro like fedora on your desktop and use it a few hours daily. When working through the book, you'll need a system to do everything at least once, but doing it 3 times should make it repeatable and ready for a test.

Most of the time, people don't learn to code and to be an admin. Coding pays better for the first 10 yrs and has better work hours always. Admins get blamed all the time for stuff they have little or zero control over. OTOH, with both skills in an enterprise company, there are usually architect roles which are well paid, respected, and have lots of control over how a business 'it' gets done with control over very large budgets. My career path was coding, coding, Unix admin, coding lead+SW Architect, Infrastructure Architect, Solution Designer, Enterprise Architect, then CIO and CFO. Finally, back to code monkey.

For Unix/Linux jobs, nothing replaces actual experience. it takes almost zero time to figure out the skill level of a Unix admin. it cannot be faked.

Python is a great 1st language. I’d push for C to be the 2nd, not C++. Learn an OO language 3rd, which language would depend on the industry.
    Last edited by TheFu; November 10th, 2020 at 03:14 PM.