Thread: wireless security confusion

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

wireless security confusion

I have an older Linksys router named Dayton and a few days ago I changed the security mode setting from WPA Personal to WPA2 Personal.

My desktop PC is running Ubuntu 20.04. When I checked the wifi connection it verified that I am using WPA2.

Ubuntu_connection_information.png

I also have an older Toshiba netbook that is running Lubuntu 20.04. When I checked the wifi connection there it appears that I am using WPA.

Lubuntu_connection_information.png

Is it possible to upgrade the wifi security setting in Lubuntu to WPA2?

Thank you for your assistance.

Kevin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: wireless security confusion

I thought the Wireless Access Point - Dayton in your case - determined the wireless protocol (if that's the correct term) used by clients. I could certainly be wrong though, wait for the experts to check in on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    I thought the Wireless Access Point - Dayton in your case - determined the wireless protocol (if that's the correct term) used by clients. I could certainly be wrong though, wait for the experts to check in on this.

I also thought that the router would determine the security mode. I'm at a loss as to why the netbook running Lubuntu says it is using WPA. Is this even possible?

I'll also mention that my desktop PC is configured as a dual-boot machine; both Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10 are on it. Not surprising, when I boot into Windows 10 the wifi connection (Dayton) is listed as "WPA2 -- Personal" there too.

Kevin

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    The AP defines the protocol... it would be a scary thing to define WPA2 and have someone be able to connect over WEP...