Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VirtualBox display problem: host 20.04

Beans

Re: VirtualBox display problem: host 20.04

Did you try changing display driver like I said above?

Beans
    Hidden!

Am I right in thinking that it is the VBox window itself that does not display correctly, not the running VM?
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

In my 20.04 installation, using the VBoxSVGA driver produces an "Invalid Settings" error. However it is the only driver that works properly for me. I ignore the error and get a lovely 16:9 image that fills my display in fullscreen mode. So if you get the "Invalid Settings" error, just ignore it and use the SVGA driver. In the VB manager, adjust Settings > Display > Graphics Controller for the guest.

I'm running the newly-released 20.04 version of VB, 6.1.10 r138449 (Qt5.12.8). However, I was running the 19.10 version until fairly recently and got the same error.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 1st, 2020 at 10:23 PM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    In my 20.04 installation, using the VBoxSVGA driver produces an "Invalid Settings" error. However it is the only driver that works properly for me. I ignore the error and get a lovely 16:9 image that fills my display in fullscreen mode. So if you get the "Invalid Settings" error, just ignore it and use the SVGA driver. In the VB manager, adjust Settings > Display > Graphics Controller for the guest.
    I got invalid settings error but reinstalling guest additions fixed it.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 1st, 2020 at 10:30 PM.

Beans

Here is the output for lspci -ks 00:02.0 :

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev 02)
    DeviceName: Onboard IGD
    Subsystem: Dell HD Graphics 620
    Kernel driver in use: i915
    Kernel modules: i915

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Am I right in thinking that it is the VBox window itself that does not display correctly, not the running VM?
    Yes, the problem is with VirtualBox window. It's buggy from the beggining, before install and run any VM.
    I've posted the video how the fresh install of VirtualBox looks like, here is the link: https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?c...AosjSCOYonLeck
    All other apps works fine, so it's very strange issue...

Beans
    Hidden!

Well at least that means we can forget about problems with your choice of the Graphics Controller in VMs as it seems to be the graphics of the host causing the display problem of the VBox window.

Normally, Intel integrated graphics are very well supported in Ubuntu and Linux in general so I'm not quite sure what to suggest here, and I'm certainly no expert when it comes to display problems.

I hope I haven't missed this detail somewhere in the thread, but are you using an xorg or a wayland graphics session? You make the choice of this at the login screen, so check that out and let us know which you use now, and then try logging in using the alternative graphics session.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12