Thread: Scads of nautilus instances spawned when I connect my phone to usb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Scads of nautilus instances spawned when I connect my phone to usb

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS, and am trying to recharge my android phone (Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime, android 7.0) by plugging it into a USB port in the computer.

In the past, when I've done this, it pops up a dialog on the phone asking to share access to the phone. It usually takes me a second or two to respond, and during that time, 3-4 nautilus instances pop up on my desktop. I grant the access, then close the extra 2-3 instances of nautilus, then things are ok.

In the past week or so (since a software update), when I connect the phone, ubuntu spawns a lot of instances of nautilus, so many that the toolbar at the bottom of the screen is completely filled with nautilus icons, each about 5px wide. I try to grant access on my phone to stop that, and each time I grant it, another request for access pops up. I run a 'killall nautilus" to clear all of them, and then they rapidly pile up again. When this happens, I need to either recharge the phone elsewhere, or give up using the desktop.

Any suggestions on how to limit how many nautilus instances can be spawned? If there's a work-around that requires me to manually connect the desktop to the phone, I'm fine with that, but I'm getting tired of fighting ubuntu for control.
    Building better Magic Elevators, since 1952

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Scads of nautilus instances spawned when I connect my phone to usb

Here's a work-around (not a fix) for the problem:

Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount false
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount-open false

Then manually mount the device if needed, or reverse the settings, authorize the mount, re-establish the settings, and then use 'killall nautilus' to get rid of the swarm.
    Building better Magic Elevators, since 1952