Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: a little instal advice please

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: a little instal advice please

As I said you do not have an E: drive in Linux.

Post this from live installer:
    sudo parted -l
    lsblk -f
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

That "E: drive" is only known as "E: drive" by Windows and as long as Windows knows what it is. After you installed Lubuntu there, Windows will call it an "Unknown partition" and Lubuntu will call it /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb2 or something like that.

Maybe it's best to simply delete that E partition using Windows tools. The installer will offer to "Install Lubuntu alongside Windows", which will probably do what you want (i.e., install Lubuntu in the unallocated space that used to be the E partition), but as you have multiple hard drives, that option is a bit unpredictable and may the the cause for your original failure. It may be better to choose "Something else", which allows for manual partitioning. Then you can create a new partition for Lubuntu and select the device for the bootloader. If oldfred agrees with me.

Lubuntu 18.04 is fine, although I would use Lubuntu 20.04. 18.04 has less than 10 months of support left, but you can choose to deal with that later. Once you managed to install one release, you can repeat the trick with the next.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You have shown us an image of the partitions from your Windows system.
    Now boot to the live Lubuntu flash drive, open gparted from the menu of that and again show us an image of the gparted window.

We really do need to see what Lubuntu sees, not what Windows sees in order to help you more so please try to do what is suggested and do not keep on talking in Windows terms as that is not very much help, as several others have already said.

Beans

Well I do have the E drive in linux ... meaning, the drive is there , its just not called E .. its ../dev/sda1 or something, and that the space that I wanted to instal Lubuntu but couldnt. ...

If i could put Lubuntu in it , i dont mind what windows calls it , i think it will still call it E as that was the letter I gave it , but never mind , what windows calss it is not really important.

Impavidus
    I thnk i get what you mean, but i made the E partition to put Lubuntu in , specifically .. the other half of that drive (F) has stuff in id like to keep .. however i have a portable hard drive copy of it .. so no biggy if it ghot deleted in the instal.

unpedictable is a word i dont like in computing .. I did try the instal using " something else" .. so then you suggest i make a new partition inside the partition that was made for lubuntu..? !
    I suppose i could .. why not ..
    now ,,,could you clarify the bit about ..." select the device for the bootloader" that bit confuses me . try to use small words

I chose 18.04 as someone (online) said it was better for the old system i have ,,, but if I can stick on 20.04 .. ill download it and just go straight for that maybe..
    Last edited by imsoslow; June 30th, 2020 at 08:43 PM.

Beans

ajgreeny
    Ok .. sorry about the windows stuff .. thats just me trying to relete something i dont know , yet , to another thing .. i shall neveer mention it again ...

Ill re boot into Lubuntu and get right on it the best i can

Beans

Lubunttu drive 1.jpgI find it hard to do screen shot , sorry
    also , i think the reason for Lubunu 18.04 instead of 20.o4 was because its 20 is 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is you system not 64Bit?
    And 555 bad sectors is not a good sign.

May be time for a new system, or at least a newer used system?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Using the option "something else", you can select /dev/sda1, give it mountpoint / (root), filesystem type ext4 and mark it for formatting. Make sure the other partitions are not marked for formatting. Install the bootloader on /dev/sda. Windows appears to be installed on the other harddrive, so that would put the Windows bootloader on one harddrive and the Lubuntu bootloader on the other. Set your bios to boot from the Lubuntu drive and you should get a menu offering a choice between both systems.

But this is only a short-term solution. A few things are worrying:
    - Your hard drive appears to be near the end of its life.
    - Lubuntu 18.04 only has about 9 months of support left. Are you sure your computer doesn't support 64 bit? Many computers from the WinXP era support 64 bit, although they had a 32 bit Windows system. I think I mentioned that in your previous thread.

Beans

If you delete the partition that is occupying the space you want to use for Ubuntu (This will destroy the data on it so be sure to backup whatever you need from it). You can then tell the installer to use the unpartitioned space. As Windows XP doesn't have the UEFI/Secureboot rubbish to worry about this will be managed and GRUB will handle the boot for you

Beans

oldfred
    Nope this is X86 , which is 32 bit , but that is the whole point , i'm making a dual boot, and my first Linux system to learn on from this computer ..
    well hopefully , if i can
    as to the bad sectors , i can sort them out, the disc has been chopped and changed and reformatted and the recent jaunt into Lubunu that failed caused a exFAT config , i don't yet know why , but i may straighten it all out and remove some of those old partitions , this was originally the old hard drive from and earlier computer running another system that cannot be named.
    I'll get around to it ,

Impavidus
    Ok ,, thank you for writing back .. this is it .. i think i understand
    use "something else" option
    root is ../dev/sda1
    bootloader is ... /dev/sda.
    ..and yes , i wanted Win left on that hard drive .. (for the moment ) and Lubuntu on the other , then I can learn about it a bit more.

Ok , so the 32 / 64 bit thing .. I'm fairly sure mine is 32 bit only as the system info gives :86 Family 15 model stepping 1 intel 2992 Mhz
    so based on that ... it wont be worth changing ,,, a new 64 bit processor means a new mother board and everything ,,,extensive surgery ,,,,
    so ,, bin ,,, and get a new computer, I have to admit though, for its age its actually doing pretty well.. anyway
    due to this, it gave me the idea of running Lubuntu along side it and about 10 months to get used to it .. eventually , I suppose I will have to admit defeat on it , but when that day comes ...i will be able to hold my head up high and say ...I tried .. and i never gave up... i upgraded ..i changed and swapped .. i learned ,, and i even went into the world of Linux , and came out a stronger man ....
    Legends are made of this stuff ....

sorry .. got a bit distracted there ... back to the instal ....
    Ill try again soon .....

ActionParsnip
    Yes already did that ,,,, in fact all the partitions on that drive ,, of which i see there are now 5 , for some reason ,,, could all become one ... one with each other , and the universe ..
    but i would like to keep partition 2, if possible ,, but if it has to be sacrificed for the greater good ,,, then so be it ..
    I have a copy .. but this is still a learning thing as well ....

I shall follow the advice of Impavidus soon ,,, wish me luck ,,, this could all go very wrong ,,,
    thank you all for your advice ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast