Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dream of improvement. Can anyone implement it ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Question A dream of improvement. Can anyone implement it ?

Seen too frequently...

"A web site is slowing down your browser. What do you want to do ?"
    O Stop it
    O Wait

What would it take to have these options implemented and working :

O Tell me which is the web site and how to block it forever from being accessed
    O Block it forever from being accessed, whatever it is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes it shows :
    "A script is slowing down your browser. What do you want to do ?"

O Stop it
    O Wait

What would it take to have these options implemented and working ?

O Do not ask; delete it and resume what got halted
    O Show the offending script and instruct me how to prevent from happening in the future.

Just keep in mind there is a brutal unresponsiveness delay of keyboard, mouse when the above messages show up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A dream of improvement. Can anyone implement it ?

I think you proposed changes make no sense.

There are many situations that can trigger those alerts.

In the first situation why would you want to "block it forever", the "it" being a website that YOU opened?
    Likewise, in the second situation, it also refers a website that YOU opened and has a script running (javascript, probably) that is slowing down the browser. Nothing was halted so nothing to "resume". There are extensions and settings in any web browser to prevent scripts from running but you should be aware that most of the websites running scripts WON'T WORK without them.

The root cause seems to be not enough RAM, rather than an issue with the websites themselves.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Thank you.
    If the web site I opened halts my browser, I do not want to be there again.
    If the web site I opened pumps scripts I did not ask for, I do not want to go back to it again.

If not enough ram, and at limit of the upgrade, why should I succumb to a website dictating that I must buy another computer with the features and ram (or ram upgradeability) they want to please their pusher mode ?

I want control of my computer, not from pusher websites.
    What a wonderful thing the internet was in 1995 !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Not a Ubuntu specific problem, moved to UL&OS Chat.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Why not just install the UBlock Origin extension in your browser?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If the web site I opened halts my browser, I do not want to be there again.
    Again, it isn't halting but even if it was there's a very good solution for that "problem": Do not visit those websites.

If the web site I opened pumps scripts I did not ask for, I do not want to go back to it again.
    So don't.

If not enough ram, and at limit of the upgrade, why should I succumb to a website dictating that I must buy another computer with the features and ram (or ram upgradeability) they want to please their pusher mode ?
    You don't have to if you don't want to. But why should the rest of the world be limited just because you don't want to evolve with the times/requirements? Should we also create a special highway lane with a 5mph speed limit to accommodate your 1925 Ford model T?

I want control of my computer, not from pusher websites.
    You are in control of your computer.
    You AREN'T in control of mine.
    You AREN'T in control of websites you don't own, let alone their requirements. Your only option is to NOT used them.

What a wonderful thing the internet was in 1995 !
    No, it was HORRIBLE. The requirements were too much for my 1984 8-bit computer. This should be outrageous in your logic.

Yes, obsolesce always wins in one way or another.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; June 28th, 2020 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Removed inapropriate language

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't think this can be implemented in a secure way, especially without any details, like the browser, addons, and plugins in that browser. Unix system settings would need to be altered by a user running without any elevated permissions. Running something like a browser with elevated permissions is asking, begging, to be hacked.

There are techniques that I use which prevent things like that happening very often, but they cannot be prevented completely because the internet is constantly changing so the included page source for any website can change from second to second.

A few ideas:
    • Implement lots of blocking for internet downloads included in webpages that aren't helpful to you. This can be done using many different ways. Which would be the quickest depends completely on your use, your network, how many computers and other devices to be protected and how mobile those devices are.
    • Don't allow tracking or advertising networks any access to the browser. Blocking system-wide can be implemented too.
    • Don't let javascript run by default. Setup a whitelist for sites where Javascript is ok.
    • Don't allow random media to run by default. Whitelist.

How to do these things? There are multiple ways.
    1. /etc/hosts for blocking access https://lifehacker.com/how-to-block-...speed-30814279
    2. DNS filters like pi-hole provides https://discourse.destinationlinux.n...container/1337
    3. NoScript browser addon to selectively block Javascript
    4. Use a reputable ad-blocking addon; I use ublock-origin
    5. Use a reputable tracker blocking addon; U use Ghostery
    6. Limit the use of addons that would counteract the addons above; Don't use shopping helpers, downloaders or coupon finder addons, as examples.

Sometimes I run high-risk programs like browsers inside a sandbox environment like firejail provides. Sometimes sites we don't really use often will only work by allowing all the trackers and javascript enabled, but we don't want any trackers remaining when we are done getting a hotel or airline ticket. firejail --private can help. The --private option makes it seem like the first time the browser has ever been run and doesn't allow anything about that session to be saved. No downloads. No configurations. No cookies. No html5 or flash "local objects". No super-cookies. Basically, it is an incognito mode that actually works, unlike the incognito modes built into browsers which almost always have bugs and leaks.

If you want more ideas, consider using a paid VPN to change where all your traffic appears to originate. Don't use a VPN without using firejail --private if you are trying to be untraceable. Any old cookies or reusing logins to sites that you may have used without firejail and the VPN will leak traceable information. Security is hard. Privacy is harder.

Beans

I see those a lot if I'm shopping on Amazon using Firefox. Best solution for me was to stop using Firefox. I did try various extensions and even editing config files but to no avail. I've gotten quite lazy in the past couple of years so I won't waste more than an hour or two trying to solve a problem if an alternative "just works out-of-box".

Beans

You might like Brave. Follow the series of commands described here:

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/brave
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    You might like Brave. Follow the series of commands described here:

https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/brave
    I really did like Brave other than limitations on "speed dial" as compared to Opera, but I encountered problems displaying images properly when shopping on Ebay.

I tend to bounce from browser to browser every few months (sometimes much sooner) because of frustrations ranging from minor to downright maddening. I miss the days when Firefox "just worked" - gosh, that was a long time ago it seems. I used Firefox exclusively for probably 15 years - maybe longer? I started using it in Win ME and only gave up on it maybe two years ago. Now I just use Chrome or Chromium almost exclusively, but just encountered a video streaming issue since the last update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast