Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A dream of improvement. Can anyone implement it ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: A dream of improvement. Can anyone implement it ?

I use different browsers, for different purposes, under different situations, with different environments.

• Daily use, safe websites only = firefox in a firejail sandbox.
    • Weekly use, banking accounts only = chromium-browser in a firejail sandbox.
    • Dangerous use, where tracking is required to functionality = chromium-browser in a private firejail sandbox.
    • Dangerous uses, when I want only a very simple browser without much support over images and html4 = dillo in a private firejail sandbox.

I don't trust most websites. Have a pi-hole running to block DNS lookups to advertising and tracking networks. Have some firewall rules to block outbound access to tracking subnets and specific companies based on past experiences.

All of us are different and have a different willingness to be hassled over tracking, advertising, and slow performance. Blocking ads and tracking javascript and DNS access really speeds up the internet. It also lowers the RAM abuse by websites.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    ... I miss the days when Firefox "just worked" - gosh, that was a long time ago it seems...
    Thanks. I feel the same. Tried several browsers, not enough success.

TheFu... yes, the RAM abuse and desperation to gain control of our screen and beyond from now too many pusher intruding websites. Wish there was a solution. They want our cookies and more, we cannot tell them we do not want our equipment impaired.

Beans

Lots of good suggestions in this thread. I use Opera which uses the Chrome engine. In reality most people will accept a certain amount of exposure for ease of use. For the most part the exposure allows the developers to collect a paycheck. I don't see anything wrong with that. However there are times that I want to limit exposure for the sake of security. This is especially important where my own paycheck is involved. As noted elsewhere in this thread Firejail does a pretty versatile job with protecting personal information and data. When I travel I take my USCellular hotspot with me so with the hotspot having no inbound ports I am able to avoid public wifi. I keep it on the back seat headrest in my car and plugged into the usb power port. Never have been without secure internet when I travel. Regarding Firejail the 'firecfg' cmd will setup most apps on your system. Beyond that it is very tweakable. So regarding the OP concerns, there are solutions. It's just that the millions of us have different needs and concerns. Bottom line is use the appropriate suggestions. Do something!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

How well does USCellular work in Chile, France, Thailand?

Most people just use a VPN when traveling that connects to their office, their home or some paid 3rd party service provider outside the current country they are in.

Opera had (has?) built-in VPN https://www.tomsguide.com/us/opera-vpn,review-4496.html , but due to the current company ownership, it might not be the best choice.

The same concerns apply to Mozilla's VPN offer. https://vpn.mozilla.org/

All-in-one solutions break the federated way that internet networking is supposed to work. That loose federation means no single entity gains too much knowledge or power (cough ... google, facebook, amazon, apple, microsoft, huge ISPs, some govts, excluded). Companies with too much power are bad for end-users.

IMHO.

Beans

What you are seeing is the browser's way of coping with rendering a web page that was designed top down instead of least common denominator first, then graceful degradation for additional features if support is lacking. This concept is lost on publishers today.

If not enough ram, and at limit of the upgrade, why should I succumb to a website dictating that I must buy another computer with the features and ram (or ram upgradeability) they want to please their pusher mode ?
    I know, right? See previous. From Tim Berners Lee,

The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.
    Even if that disability is a 8 GB RAM 250 MB PC II from 1995 with a 9600 baud modem, users should be able to access your content without their browser crashing. Not happening a lot these days.

Anyway if you wish to suggest, suggest to the publishers of the browser you are using, because that is where your idea would have to be implemented.

Beans

It is all about "pay per click". There has to be a paycheck at the end of the rainbow. If all else fails follow the money trail. That being said, a lot of the solutions available to the OP are built into the linux kernel. Those built-in solutions can be either too techie or too bothersome to use so frontends like firejail are provided to smooth out the process. If I access a website that won't remove a popup window unless I allow cookies then I don't use the website. If they want my mouse clicks it will have to be on my terms. However if I want what their site is providing enough I may choose to put up with their data mining. In that case I can set my browser to delete cookies every 24hrs or similar option. The source of many of the problems lie in the fact the many want a ready to use computer experience. The linux crowd are pretty tech smart but linux trying to go main stream is diluting that. Hence the preloaded annoyances. They are an unchallenged part of the experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12