Thread: NVIDIA graphics driver gone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

NVIDIA graphics driver gone

Hi all,

today, all-of-a-sudden and for no apparent reason I realized that gThumb wasn't starting anymore. After that, Blender didin' start as well, and the shell gave me the following error message:
    Code:
    Read prefs: /home/claus/.config/blender/2.82/config/userpref.blend
    Error! Unsupported graphics card or driver.
    A graphics card and driver with support for OpenGL 3.3 or higher is required.
    The program will now close.
    Yesterday, everything worked without a problem. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 installed, and until today, everything worked fine. In the Control Center, the NVIDIA Settings are present, but I didn't change anything. Did someone experience a similar problem & knows a solution?

TIA,

Claus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: NVIDIA graphics driver gone

Please check the drivers are installed and reinstall if needed. Also make sure Secure Boot, if applicable, is disabled.

Beans
    Distro

After I logged out & opened a virtual shell, I tried to install the NVIDIA driver anew, but I got the error message saying that an xserver was running. When I performed 'reboot', the issue was gone & everything worked fine.

Claus
    Last edited by claus; June 27th, 2020 at 04:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The situation resolved itself, that's nice.

That said, the likely cause of such issues is installing the drivers using the Nvidia binaries. NEVER do that. ALWAYS install the correct drivers from the Ubuntu official repositories.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    The situation resolved itself, that's nice.

That said, the likely cause of such issues is installing the drivers using the Nvidia binaries. NEVER do that. ALWAYS install the correct drivers from the Ubuntu official repositories.
    I did install the NVIDIA binaries, and so far, everything worked fine. I checked with Synaptic, and there are in fact several NVIDIA packages installed. Is this suffícient? And how do I uninstall the NVIDIA binaries?

Claus

P. S.: When taking a look at 'Software & Updates > Additional Drivers', I found that 'nvidia-driver-440' is installed & I am told that my NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 is using the recommended driver.
    Last edited by claus; June 27th, 2020 at 05:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To uninstall those run the same command with the argument to uninstall.
    The main problem with installing that way is that you need to reinstall each and every time there's a kernel update.
    Once uninstalled completely you can simply open Additional Drivers, select and apply the recommended driver version.

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

and thanks for your recommendation. When I executed 'sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107.run -uninstall', I got

[sudo] password for claus:
    Verifying archive integrity... OK
    Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86_64 340.107........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................

and a window informing me that 'currently there is no NVIDIA driver installed'. Hm, so it seems that I only have the Ubuntu driver installed.

Claus

P. S.: Are the 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' I can find under 'Administration' in the Ubuntu Menu the options to adjust the Ubuntu driver 440?

Last edited by claus; June 27th, 2020 at 07:05 PM.