Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop overheating (while not at all on Windows 8)

Beans

Question Laptop overheating (while not at all on Windows 8)

Hello,

I hate to say that, but my laptop almost doesn't heat up at all when I'm using Windows 8. While with Kubuntu (or even lighter Linux distros), it does heat up A LOT. Even with an external computer fan, it is still too hot. I read somewhere that it could be a drivers problem. I am no professional at all.

I tried tlp (several months ago) but I saw no changes at all.

I'm using an HP ENVY dv6.

Anyone knows an efficient way to reduce overheating?

Thanks
    Last edited by stargazer4587; 2 Weeks Ago at 06:06 AM. Reason: replaced Windows 7 by Windows 8

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Laptop overheating (while not at all on Windows 7)

Welcome.

The HP Envy line typically has Nvidia graphics.
    If you're using the default open-source driver which is inadequate for most recent mobile Nvidia chips then of course it'll be hotter then it should because it's mostly working on the CPU for tasks that otherwise would be offloaded to the GPU had it the proper drivers running.

And it should be mentioned that typically the HP Envy line was sold with Windows 8 or newer so the Windows 7 was a downgrade? Very likely Windows 7 can't squeeze the 100% performance from that hardware so there's no point in comparing it with a more recent Ubuntu or derivatives. Also Windows 7 is out of support for years now, it's dangerous if used online and generally shouldn't be used under no pretext. If you want to keep using Windows then upgrade to Windows 10 ASAP.

For any Ubuntu you can open Additional Drivers and just select and apply the recommended Nvidia proprietary driver. However, due to an unfortunate bug still unresolved, in Ubuntu 20.04 the tool may suggest a new driver version that no longer has support for some older chips. This is important in your case because the first Google results for your model showed a Nvidia GTX630M - yours can be different - and for that the last Nvidia driver that should be used is 390.

Beans

Thank you very much CelticWarrior for your reply. I rarely use Windows (I'm actually not even sure if it's Windows 7 or 8.1, it must be 8.1 then.. I've been using Linux only for years) so when I did, I noticed a huge difference that's why I thought there must be a way to avoid overheating while using Linux.
    Anyway, I'm using Kubuntu 18.04.. The thing is, I am already using the recommended Nvidia driver (nvidia-driver-390, it says NVIDIA driver metapackage).
    What should I do?
    Last edited by stargazer4587; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:57 PM.

Beans

Is it an optimus laptop? If it is I think Win doesn't heat up because it switches between the nvidia card and the integrated intel one, I think you can also do this on Linux but instead of switching automatically you have to manually do it yourself. I never have an optimus machine so can't say more except to google. I think manual switching is less convenient but actually has the advantage of giving you more control.

Beans

The word optimus doesn't appear anywhere, so I don't think it is. It's HP ENVY dv6.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need to know your hardware.

If it has any i5/i7/i9 Intel CPU plus adGPU Nvidia it has hybrid graphics indeed.
    Please open Nvidia X Server Settings (search it like any other app). There you should find a profile switcher.

Beans

You're right, I should.

It has an i7 Intel CPU, NVIDIA Geforce GT.

(right now I'm trying to upgrade Windows, I'll check the Nvidia X Server Settings once this is done )
    Thanks

Beans

(the upgrade failed.. but that's another issue)

the Nvidia X Server Settings show me two options: NVIDIA (selected) or Intel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Laptop overheating (while not at all on Windows 8)

So there you have it.

Change to Intel, reboot and then monitor the temperatures. This is the only real comparison that should be made because Windows is working always with the iGPU Intel unless some specific software demands more (typically high-end games or 3D software, etc.).

Beans

Re: Laptop overheating (while not at all on Windows 8)

Thank you CelticWarrior.

The overheat problem didn't disappear. I installed psensor and I'm monitoring the temperatures (see table below)

Even in the case these values are normal, the laptop is still very hot.
    Last edited by stargazer4587; 1 Week Ago at 10:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast