Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS bad audio

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS bad audio

I have a msi gt780dxr that a friend gave me. I just clean installed Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, previously had 18.04 LTS installed. It runs great, responsive, everything I like about Ubuntu. I use this laptop for streaming, watching movies, and retro gaming through my home theater TV/receiver connected through HDMI. I have turned the sound on the laptop off.

However, there is one problem:

The audio is terrible. To the best of my knowledge I have installed NVIDIA proprietary drivers for the video card. Cannot seem to see any options at all for audio drivers. It sounds tinny, delayed/clipping on the start from a pause, just poor sound quality overall. Ubuntu 18.04 LTS audio was fine.

Any suggestions?

PS - I always seem to have trouble with video/audio drivers when using Ubuntu. I want to fully switch all my personal PCs over to Linux (to hell with Windows) but this is the one thing that always hangs things up for me. I wish I could take a lesson. I can install Ubuntu fine with no problems. The next step of tweaking the display and sound (and hardware drivers) is always a bugbear for me. And I am never quite sure what I am missing or even after a change if I've actually done the right move or if there is some better option that I am just ignorant of. My usual method of attempting to solve this perpetual problem is to randomly try one suggestion after another from google searching, I wish I could actually know what to do.
    Last edited by thusspokelong; June 30th, 2020 at 07:17 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS bad audio

Try pulse audio volume control, pavucontrol, then switch built-in audio in configuration, Hope that helps.
    Love battle for wesnoth game

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haytham-med View Post
    Try pulse audio volume control, pavucontrol, then switch built-in audio in configuration, Hope that helps.
    Thanks. It might in fact help I'm just not sure how to do all that.

Would this work the same in 20.04 https://linuxhint.com/pulse_audio_sounds_ubuntu/

Beans

That worked! Thanks haytham-med.