Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signature not found in user keyring, try ecryptfs-mount-private (Server 18.0.4.4)

Beans

Signature not found in user keyring, try ecryptfs-mount-private (Server 18.0.4.4)

After a shutdown to apply updates and clone the boot drive, I keep getting this in the login shell:

Signature not found in user keyring
    Perhaps try the interactive 'ecryptfs-mount-private'

So I run that 'ecryptfs-mount-private' and get through with my user password. It then says
    "Inserted auth tok with sig (.......... and such) into the user session keyring
    fopen: No such file or directory

What is this fopen business, and how do I fix it? And how can I make this problem go away and remain fixed through system restarts?

As things are now there is limited connectivity to the server and the openvpn connections from my client devices will not work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Signature not found in user keyring, try ecryptfs-mount-private (Server 18.0.4.4)

When you installed the server, did you opt to encrypt the home system?

Beans

Re: Signature not found in user keyring, try ecryptfs-mount-private (Server 18.0.4.4)

Quote Originally Posted by LHammonds View Post
    When you installed the server, did you opt to encrypt the home system?
    I believe I made it do no encryption in order for me to restart the machine remotely if necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

What encrypted file system is it trying to mount? I know the /home is a typical question the installer asks to encrypt but that is usually the only thing you would accidentally encrypt during install.

LHammonds

Beans

What encrypted file system is it trying to mount? I know the /home is a typical question the installer asks to encrypt but that is usually the only thing you would accidentally encrypt during install.

LHammonds
    I'm not sure. Is there a command I can use to check? I doubt it would be anything other than the home directory, but even then I don't know how since I could have sworn I intentionally left unencrypted at the time of my last fresh install.

If this part even matters, the contents of /home/User/.ecryptfs include auto-mount, auto-umount, Private.mnt, Private.sig, and wrapped-passphrase.

Beans

So, somehow this thing worked itself out. I don't know what I did other than force an additional security update that was held back
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get upgrade
    and then running
    Code:
    update-initramfs -u
    Apparently this whole god-awful experience maybe stems from fully shutting down without rebooting and shutting down a second time before cloning the boot drive. I don't know for sure really. Now my openvpn connectivity has a DNS problem and I don't really know why. The VPN clients connect to the server but there is no Internet access or external pinging going on. So some kind of DNS problem now.

Beans

I spoke to soon - "Signature not found in user keyring" is still there upon reboot from the connected monitor.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I do not encrypt any of my file systems so I am not that great at troubleshooting such a scenario but here is what my Google-Fu found:

Check if partition is encrypted
    Ubuntu 14.04 x64 encrypted home - signature not found in user keyring

LHammonds

Beans

I do not encrypt any of my file systems so I am not that great at troubleshooting such a scenario but here is what my Google-Fu found:

Check if partition is encrypted
    Ubuntu 14.04 x64 encrypted home - signature not found in user keyring

LHammonds

Thanks for the tip, I have applied this fix from that second URL link: https://askubuntu.com/a/602559

I expect I won't know if this has fully corrected the problem until I get back to physical access to the server this evening. I'm only shelling in right now. I'll update further then. I'm still having connectivity trouble through the VPN, but perhaps that's another matter entirely.

Beans

To update from my last post: still no dice. When logging into the server with physical on-site access at the terminal, I still see "Signature not found in user keyring. Perhaps try the interactive 'ecryptfs-mount-private'

...of which I have tried numerous times, with no luck whatsoever - other than chasing my own tail in an endless recursive loop of futility.

For some reason though, this message is not shown in the shell from a client device shelled into the server. Any more suggestions?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast