Thread: Installing/using PyQt4 on Dapper

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Question Installing/using PyQt4 on Dapper

OK. So, after having my request for a PyQt4 backport rejected (for valid reasons; see here: https://launchpad.net/products/dappe...rts/+bug/57519 and here: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1422663). Also see those threads for why I can't just install PyQt4 straight from Riverbank's source.

I thought I'd live on the dangerous side and try pulling directly from Edgy. An apt-get of this nature:

Code:
    apt-get install -s python-qt4 python-qt4-gl python-qt4-sql
    Gives me:

Code:
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      gcc-4.1-base libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libgcc1 libqt4-core libqt4-debug
      libqt4-debug-dev libqt4-dev libqt4-gui libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql libstdc++6 linux-libc-dev
      python-elementtree python-kde3 python-numeric python-opengl python-qt3 python-qtext python-sip4
      python-support
    Suggested packages:
      glibc-doc manpages-dev python-numeric-tutorial python2.3-tk python2.3-qt3-gl python-qt3-doc libqt3-mt-mysql
      libqt3-mt-odbc libqt3-mt-psql
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      linux-kernel-headers python2.4-kde3 python2.4-numeric python2.4-qt3 python2.4-qtext python2.4-sip4-qt3
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      gcc-4.1-base linux-libc-dev python-elementtree python-opengl python-qt4 python-qt4-gl python-qt4-sql
      python-sip4 python-support
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      libc6 libc6-dev libc6-i686 libfreetype6 libfreetype6-dev libgcc1 libqt4-core libqt4-debug libqt4-debug-dev
      libqt4-dev libqt4-gui libqt4-qt3support libqt4-sql libstdc++6 python-kde3 python-numeric python-qt3
      python-qtext
    Oddly enough, and perhaps thankfully, very little python-related stuff is being upgraded.

Now, some distributions say "Don't pull packages across versions, that is sooooo not supported." But that was an RPM-based distribution that said that. Are the dependency trees in .deb's good enough that the above list is really what I need? Has anyone tried this (and lived)? Has anyone severely borked their system this way?

I see the libc6, libgcc, and libqt4 upgrades. Are those really safe? In other words, if there were binary gotchas, would apt-get being throwing in a whole lot more upgrades?

Any comments or directions would be great.

j

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Installing/using PyQt4 on Dapper

Do NOT (I repeat, that's NOT, as in N-O-T, as in don't even thing about it) pull binary packages from Edgy to install in Dapper. Edgy has a new compiler and C libraries that are completely incompatible with those of Dapper. You will for sure render your Ubuntu installation unbootable if you do this.

Compile the packages from source.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Compile the packages from source.
    Well, yeah, but see https://launchpad.net/products/dappe...rts/+bug/57519 as to how well that (didn't) work.

As to the new version of GCC, shouldn't all the new Edgy packages then have a dependency on gcc-4.1-base, or some other meta package that defines the ABI? Sigh...when, oh when, is C++ going to have an ABI standard.

Ah well...back to the drawing board.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe just ignore the deb packaging system altogether.. Grab source tarballs from the pyqt site and compile/install to /usr/local.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jdong View Post
    Maybe just ignore the deb packaging system altogether.. Grab source tarballs from the pyqt site and compile/install to /usr/local.
    Ah, if it were only that simple. Well, maybe it is. Maybe you can tell me since you probably know more about this that I do.

Compiling PyQt4 requires Sip4.4.4:

~/src/PyQt-x11-gpl-4.0.1$ python configure.py
    Error: This version of PyQt requires SIP v4.4.4 or later

If I make a deb of sip 4.4.5 (via checkinstall) and try to install that, it tells me it's going to overwrite a file belonging to python2.4-sip4-qt3:

Code:
    trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sipconfig.py', which is also in package python2.4-sip4-qt3
    Well, it also looks like it would overwrite /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sip.so as well. It wouldn't overwrite any of the sip binaries, because the sip4 package itself isn't installed.

I would name my custom compiled version of sip4 'python2.4-sip4-qt3' and call it good, but python2.4-kde3 (as well as -qt3) has a depends that includes this:

Code:
    python2.4-sip4-qt3 (>= 4.3), python2.4-sip4-qt3 (<< 4.4)
    So, I could call give my package version 4.3.99 and watch sparks fly. I might just resort to doing that. I wish the sip4 configure script had an option for a custom prefix or suffix, bit it appears it does not.

I can install the compile job in a custom location, but when the pyqt4 libraries are used, they will probably look in the default location, causing everything to bomb again. Or if I name my package python2.4-sip4-qt3 and install it, I would assume any pyqt3 programs would then bomb. Currently eric3 and kde-guidance depend on pyqt3/pykde3. I suppose I could go without both of those for a while.

It would appear I've hit a dead end. At least if I want to do things the elagent way. Maybe doing things the hackish way will still work.

j

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

:-/ Whatever you do at this point will be pretty hackish.... that's a given. That's also part of the reason I didn't want to do it a la backports, as I explained earlier. It runs the risk of breaking kde-guidance which is definitely a no-no.