Thread: Use ekiga to call actual phone nos.

Beans

Use ekiga to call actual phone nos.

I have installed ekiga and can make sip to sip calls OK, and have purchased call time from diamond.com to make calls out to actual phones, and that account is registered with ekiga. But I cannot make calls to phones, such attempts always return "so-andso is offline". I notice that every call I make to a number is actually placed to sip:number. So perhaps I need to specify that ekiga should use the diamond.com account to make such calls. The help makes no mention of this, just that one needs a call-out account. Please advise.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Use ekiga to call actual phone nos.

Yes, you need to setup the client to use your account.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Yes, you need to setup the client to use your account.
    Yes, that is the problem. How is it done?

I followed the instructions in the ekiga help, used their recommended call-out provider, entered the id and password from that provider, ekiga itself tells me that account is registered and ready to go, but it never makes use of it when I try to call a phone number. It always uses the free sip account. If I remove the sip account it still will not use the call-out account.
    Last edited by porphyry52; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:14 PM. Reason: added information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Sorry for long delay in replying, been out of town. The manual reference you gave me above is what I followed with the Connection Assistant, and I got the id and password from diamond .com and registration completed normally. I have tried calling numbers 4 ways;, just the number with and without leading 00, the number + uri generated automatically by ekiga, and the number + uri shown in the manual, e.g.
    sip:18887411115@sip.diamondcard.us
    sip:18887411115@eugw.ast.diamondcard.us

All produce the same result, "Remote host is offline"

ekiga also produces an error/advisory message at each attempt of the form
    Code:
    (ekiga:1335): GLib-CRITICAL **: 16:21:44.716: Source ID 2980 was not found when attempting to remove it