Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which motherboards will boot ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which motherboards will boot ubuntu

Where someone sees contradiction, I see grey areas. Asus has supported RHEL and Ubuntu for some time - for specific hardware. They have Linux drivers posted. But it isn't a yes/no answer. I have been inexact with the term "support" in this thread. Sometimes it means etched in official policy for specific hardware and other times it means - we got this working with zero or minimal effort. Grey areas.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Excellent point about the NIC. I specifically select only motherboards that come with Intel PRO/1000 NICs. No realtek. No funky brands I've never heard about.
    I will bear this in mind as I do intend to use Ethernet at some point.

On another note, what was the situation with Seagate drives? I have a Seagate SSD that's probably circa 2015 that has a lot of old photos on there (I know it's daft not to have a backup) is there some specific issue with them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Probably best to start a new thread on this; there are people here who don't care about motherboards but pay very, very close attention to storage devices.
    regards

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rbmorse View Post
    Probably best to start a new thread on this
    Why? It would probably be best to ask a more specific question (i.e. edit the thread title). Because "Which motherboards will boot Ubuntu?" has a ton of answers. "Which X570 Mobo Works Flawlessly?" seems more like what OP is asking.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

ASUS PRIME X370-A works out of the box.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    I will bear this in mind as I do intend to use Ethernet at some point.

On another note, what was the situation with Seagate drives? I have a Seagate SSD that's probably circa 2015 that has a lot of old photos on there (I know it's daft not to have a backup) is there some specific issue with them?
    i know nothing good or bad about SSDs with Seagate branding. Sorry.
    i believe Samsung is the safe bet for SSDs, but regardless, there is no excuse for not having backups when a WD 2TB usb3 external disk is under $50. it is actually hard to find smaller sized disks for less. The 2.5 inch external drives will be slower than 3.5 inch with external power. The external power is important for speed. Or get a $20 USB3 dock and an internal 2.5 or 3.5 inch drive. With a dock, we have unlimited storage as needed using bare drives. That can be really handy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Pasque View Post
    Why? It would probably be best to ask a more specific question (i.e. edit the thread title). Because "Which motherboards will boot Ubuntu?" has a ton of answers. "Which X570 Mobo Works Flawlessly?" seems more like what OP is asking.
    No I was literally under the impression that certain motherboards just didn't work at all with Linux and would refuse to boot, but between this thread and one I posted on Reddit, It seems that pretty much any X570 motherboard will boot Linux, but some will have embedded hardware that may not be fully supported, with ITE Super I/O chips and some Ethernet controllers being the most problematic.

Beans

It seems that pretty much any X570 motherboard will boot Linux, but some will have embedded hardware that may not be fully supported, with ITE Super I/O chips and some Ethernet controllers being the most problematic.
    Yeah, that seems like a good takeaway. FWIW, I never had issues with Realtek 8111 series NICs, but I've seen reports of 8168/8169 that would discourage me from those.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I rebuilt my system with a Asus Prime B450M-A , AMD® Ryzen 5 2600 six-core processor 6 months ago .It works great.
    When I did my research prior to purchase, I noted that there was a problem with early versions of some BIOS on various mobos.
    That could be corrected with a BIOS update.
    Last edited by Paulgirardin; June 30th, 2020 at 09:21 PM.
    Ubuntu 23.10

Beans

I u need more info. U can read more about motherboards here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast