Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get Kindle downloads from 'Downloads' to my Kindle?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

How to get Kindle downloads from 'Downloads' to my Kindle?

Just got 20.04 and it sure is different to 'Trusty'. I've downloaded some Kindle books to my computer and there they are in the downloads file but I can't drag them to my Kindle like I did with Trusty. When I drag the book file to the Kindle icon in the Dash it tells me: Error, destination is Read-Only, (or words to that effect). It used to be so easy, what do I need to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to get Kindle downloads from 'Downloads' to my Kindle?

Ubuntu 14.04 used Unity as DE, Ubuntu 20.04 uses Gnome. Although looking similar, and for the most part having the same functionality (after all Unity was a plugin to Gnome), some things work differently.

Avoid such drag'n'drop. Open your file manager and copy/paste (like always).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks CelticWarrior, problem: Copied one of the files and when I tried to Paste it into the documents folder in my Kindle I got the message: "Could not paste files, permissions do not allow pasting files in this directory"

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You need to change the mounted kindle ownership to yourself and give it read & write permissions. I need to leave for work now but can explain how to do that later if someone doesn't tell you first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thanks cmcanulty, yes, I might not have done it right but I already had this idea and check permissions on my Kindle. It looks like it is set for me to both create and delete files. There are two other headings: Group and Others, these are set to 'Access' and cannot be changed to 'Create and Delete'. Pointers gratefully received...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

A common Linux issue is doing that to attached USB devices when not safely removed. Try attaching to another computer, any operating system and safely removing it then reattach it to your machine and see it it works OK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by cmcanulty View Post
    A common Linux issue is doing that to attached USB devices when not safely removed. Try attaching to another computer, any operating system and safely removing it then reattach it to your machine and see it it works OK
    I can't do that at the moment, my wife's computer is in the shop, lousy Windows 10 issues - wish we'd never had the thing but I can tell you that I have never improperly unmounted the Kindle, in fact, today is the first time I've connected it since the 20.04 install. If I can think of another machine to connect it to, I will. Thanks for your support.

Beans

Any computer will do. Do you have a buddy with a Windows system you can borrow for 10 seconds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ActionParsnip View Post
    Any computer will do. Do you have a buddy with a Windows system you can borrow for 10 seconds
    I'll see what I can do, maybe the wife's computer will be fixed by now, it's been in the shop for more than a week.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ok, wife's machine back from the shop, connected my Kindle to it and unmounted properly and tried on my 20.04 again. Still no joy, it still says no permissions to paste files. What now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast