Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC USB TV tuner suitable for lubuntu 19.10+

tea for one is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: PC USB TV tuner suitable for lubuntu 19.10+

Yes, sometimes it's less arduous to reinstall and start from scratch. It's good practice and helps build confidence.

If you are looking for a media application which also includes TV viewing (in order to avoid tvheadend, other repositories, Kodi & addons), then have a look at Kaffeine.

It may pull in a myriad of dependencies but the TV part is reasonably simple to configure - assuming your DVB device is recognised.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

hey - cookin' on gas now, as they say.. Kaffeine didn't work at first but somewhere in it, I clicked on something and it offered to 'show dmesg', so I clicked on that, and read through a massive load of lines, and noticed there were a few lines complaining it couldn't find some firmware files...

It was saying it wanted dvb-demod-si2168-d60-01.fw and dvb-tuner-si2141-a10-01.fw so I found them online & stuck them in /lib/firmware, everything seems to have sprung to life now

I have purchased a slightly newer version of the stick than you maybe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've had my device for approx 3 years so I'm sure your tuner is a newer model with different firmware.

Anyway, it looks like you've made good progress and now you can afford to experiment a bit.

It can be fun exploring other dvb scanning tools and pvr applications.

Please mark the thread as solved because it is helpful to other forum members.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

me-tv is a simple TV watching program without all the overhead that tvheadend demands. i've used it only with a USB tuner in the US, but think it was created in Australia.

i barely use that since hdhr network tuners with DLNA allow much more flexibility for watching and recording using any devices on the network. Of course, they cost more than a single-tuner USB dongle. Don't know whether HDHR works in the UK. They are great when we need better antenna than a mono-pole 16 inch antenna and need it mounted in the attic or outside. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silicondust.../dp/B07BFPWBNS i have the US version of that. Wow, it looks to be 3x more expensive in the UK. Recording TV shows is just a wget download.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I also used me-tv in the past.

It was a nice simple application for viewing/recording but it hasn't been in the Ubuntu repositories for a long time.

Tvheadend is not the most intuitive program to use but it scans DVB-T and DVB-T2 channels without errors.

Also, tvheadend has a nice feature to allow you to export a channel list for use in VLC.

It's a pity that me-tv is no longer in development because that would have been my first suggestion for the OP.

There is a fork of me-tv https://github.com/Me-TV/Me-TV, but I've not had much luck with it yet.
    Last edited by tea for one; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tea for one View Post
    It was a nice simple application for viewing/recording but it hasn't been in the Ubuntu repositories for a long time.
    I suppose "long time" is relative.

Code:
    $ apt search me-tv
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    me-tv/xenial 1.3.7-1build2 amd64
      Me TV, it's TV for me computer

w-scan/xenial 20141122-1 amd64
      Channel scanning tool for DVB and ATSC channels
    On a 20.04 system, it doesn't look as good:
    Code:
    $ apt search me-tv
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    w-scan/focal 20170107-2 amd64
      Channel scanning tool for DVB and ATSC channels
    I'm not exactly worried about security for a TV-tuner software package that runs as a normal userid. OTOH, it doesn't work with HDHR network tuners, so me-tv seldom gets used.

Beans
    Distro

Kaffeine & the daffodil stick are working faultlessly here now, I'm really pleased with the setup.

Can't schedule to record 2 programmes on different channels simultaneously but I figure that's simply a limitation of the hardware. Could Kaffeine handle that scenario with the use of multiple daffodil sticks?

Beans
    Distro

Typical USB tuners only have 1 tuner. That means 1 channel can be recorded though in the US on ATSC that 1 channel has 20 Mbps bandwidth and often has 4 sub-channels so all the programs on those subchannels CAN be recorded too using only 1 "tuner" if the software is smart enough. Don't know what the UK does.

if you want 2 or 4 tuners, the HDHR link provided above will lead to models with that capability. These things are extremely well supported and there are probably 50-100 software methods to watch and/or record with them. Get any of the models with DLNA support. A raspberry-pi v2 or better can be used to watch and record on the low end. Apps for Android and all the other OSes exist. Plex, kodi, tvheadend, mythtv, and all the commercial methods are supported too. ZERO drivers needed, just a wired ethernet and connection to the antenna(s). if you find one on-sale or used (DLNA capable models), buy if the price fits your budget. They make 2, 4, and 6 tuner US models (QAM and ATSC). Think you want DVB models.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the info re HDHR that's something I'm certainly going to follow up. It does look like it should work in the UK according to what I've read so far.

Still using Kaffeine at the moment & it's working well, I just ran into one thing. I found a button marked "Update scan data over internet" so gave it a try to see what it did. I received a message "Failed".

Looking into it a little deeper it seems I'm suffering from the same issue reported here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1879923

Not experienced or knowledgeable enough to go any further with it though.. is it something that one would just have to wait for devs to fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Scan Data is a list of TV transmitters.

Here is the latest table for Kaffeine https://linuxtv.org/downloads/dtv-scan-tables/kaffeine/

You can compare the date issued of the scantable.dvb if you navigate:-

Kaffeine > Digital TV > Television >Configure Television > Edit Scanfile

Do you think that you are missing some channels?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast