Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Search documents in re VirtualBox 6.1.10

Beans

Search documents in re VirtualBox 6.1.10

Hi all,

VirtualBox 6.1.10
    Host - Ubuntu 18.04
    VMs - Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04

Could folks here guide me finding VirtualBox document, Linux host and VMs, particularly;
    - Create New Group and delete Group
    - Move VMs around on their group and to another group
    etc.

Thanks.

What I can find are following 2 documents:
    Oracle® VM VirtualBox®
    User Manual
    Oracle Corporation
    Copyright © 2004-2020 Oracle Corporation
    https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html

VirtualBox
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/VirtualBox

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Search documents in re VirtualBox 6.1.10

Sorry but I don't understand what you are wanting to do.

Give us a lot more detail and it may make more sense.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Sorry but I don't understand what you are wanting to do.

Give us a lot more detail and it may make more sense.
    Hi,

I learned a bitter lesson before;

Please see attached Sceenshot-1 and Screenshot-2.

I have no idea how this new group [New group 2] was created. According to my recollection I only tried moving one VM, say VM2, on top of another VM, say VM1 with drag-n-drop. But a new VM group was then created, "New group 2" automatically.

I expect to find relevant documents in re how to move VMs between groups, say moving VM2, VM6 & VM8 to "New group 2" and moving VM3 on "New group 2" back to "group 1"? Also how to create new group?

I'm aware it can be done running commands on Terminal. I have used them before. Unfortunately I couldn't find respective document on my database.

Thanks

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

OK, I've got it now.

In the VBNox main window open up the group containing the VM you want to move and simply drag it, either to the new group or back to the main listing of VMs in the VBox window.

I have never bothered with nor used groups until I saw this thread so I have learned something new this morning.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I've never used groups either. At most I'll have three or four VMs in my list. Putting them into groups seems superfluous.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I've never used groups either. At most I'll have three or four VMs in my list. Putting them into groups seems superfluous.
    Hi,

What I'm planning to achieve is as follow;

I have about 40 websites running on Godaddy's server, share hosting. I'll create their cloned website on local PC. It's very easy by running "All-in-One Migration" plugin.

I just create a Ubuntu 20.04 VM and install Wordpress on it following below document;
    Ubuntu 20.04 Wordpress with Apache installation
    https://linuxconfig.org/ubuntu-20-04...e-installation
    30 April 2020

Afterwards clone 40 VMs. Then on each website of Godaddy server run "All-in-One Migration" to export the website as .wpress file. On each VM on local PC just run "All-in-One Migration" to import the respective .wpress file. After minor adjustment the website is up and can be browsed on local network. I'm prepared running each website on its own server locally.

Now I have at least 10 cloned websites running on local network without problem. The websites can be updated/upgraded. I don't expect running all cloned websites in ONE group. I'm prepared to run them in 4 groups which is the reason for me creating groups on VM Manager.

Years ago when I was subscribing FIXED IP, I have running following interesting setup;

1) When the cloned websites on local PC were running, visitors browsed the cloned websites
    2) When the local PC was switched off, visitors browsed the websites on Godaddy's server. It was fully automatic and the visitors didn't recognize its change

I can run the cloned websites on a Docker that will be another story.

Maybe I'll re-try the above-mentioned setup again when time allows. I'm aware Dynamic IP can also work.

I do hope that my explanation above will clarify why I need groups on VM Manager.

Thanks

Regards
    Last edited by satimis; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I run multiple WP instances, though not forty of them, on a single virtual machine at Linode using Apache's normal method for handling virtual servers. I can't imagine running each of them in separate virtual machines.

There's are native WordPress tools to migrate sites. I use the WP add-in called Dupiicator for this task. Simple and effective.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans

I run multiple WP instances, though not forty of them, on a single virtual machine at Linode using Apache's normal method for handling virtual servers. I can't imagine running each of them in separate virtual machines.
    The advantage having one website on one virtual machine is if there is any wrong I just delete the VM. It won't affect other websites on the server. I have plenty of drive space here.

There's are native WordPress tools to migrate sites. I use the WP add-in called Dupiicator for this task. Simple and effective.
    Thanks. I'll try it. Is there a limit on upload file size?

Regards

Beans
    Distro

There are limits on file upload sizes enforced by PHP (see php.ini). I don't think WP enforces its own.

Your host must have a lot of memory. 40 virtual machines at, say, 1 GB each is 40 GB of memory. The amount of overhead in this arrangement is massive.

Beans

- snip -
    Hi,

VM - Ubuntu 20.40 Gnome desktop

I am now following below article testing Duplicator to move a website to a VM

How to Migrate a WordPress Site with the Duplicator Plugin
    https://wpshout.com/quick-guides/mov...icator-plugin/

Now I have following 2 files download
    Code:
    20200624_mychildhood_79eec7f79405c2886390_20200624085831_archive.daf

installer.php
    The guide on that article only mentioned not necessary to install WordPress locally. I suppose needing nginx and php-fpm running on VM to install the above files

$ apt policy nginx php-fpm
    Code:
    nginx:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 1.17.10-0ubuntu1
      Version table:
         1.17.10-0ubuntu1 500
            500 http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main amd64 Packages
            500 http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/main i386 Packages
    php-fpm:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 2:7.4+75
      Version table:
         2:7.4+75 500
            500 http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
            500 http://hk.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal/universe i386 Packages
    Please advice. Thanks

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast