Thread: Need help, I'm a new user of Linux

Beans

Post Need help, I'm a new user of Linux

II have an acer c720 chromebook. I have fully wiped off Chrome os and reinstalled GalliumOS 3.1 via iso on a USB drive. I updated my packages and it says everything is up to date but I need to figure out what this error is or whatever is going on but i'm going to post it below

W: Target Sources (partner/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:43 and /etc/apt/sources.list:54
    W: Target Packages (partner/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Packages (partner/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Packages (partner/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Translations (partner/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Translations (partner/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Sources (partner/source/Sources) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:43 and /etc/apt/sources.list:54
    W: Target Packages (partner/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Packages (partner/binary-i386/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Packages (partner/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Translations (partner/i18n/Translation-en_US) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53
    W: Target Translations (partner/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list:42 and /etc/apt/sources.list:53

I'm wondering how to fix this please and thanks

Beans

Re: Need help, I'm a new user of Linux

Thread moved to the "Any Other OS" forum.

Beans

I'm sorry for the posting in a wrong thread I'm just new to the forum

Beans

You have multiple identical entries in /etc/apt/sources.list. Just remove the duplicates. The error message even tells you the offending line numbers. Looks like removing lines 53 and 54 should do the trick. After you make the edits run "sudo apt update" to see if the problem has been resolved. Make a backup of the sources.list file first just in case.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Okay thank you. now as I have previously said I am new to linux, do i edit this like a text document ??

Beans

This file can only be edited by the "root," or administrative, user. In Ubuntu, that means using sudo to run a command. Open a terminal, then type
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    You'll be prompted to enter your password. Nano has a useful menu of commands at the bottom of the screen.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

And you just might like nano, as well. I certainly do.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819