Thread: Installing Ubuntu 20LTS dual boot with Windows: Speed, partition sizes

Threaded View

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu 20LTS dual boot with Windows: Speed, partition sizes

That's encouraging!

But sadly a new problem: when I tried to shrink the Asus C partition from 930GB to 140GB, it insists I can only shrink it to Asus Shrink problem.JPG47 and some, leaving me far less to play with than planned. This is, I realise, a Windows problem not Ubuntu, but it's currently a block on further progress.

It's a newly manufacturer refurbished machine, which I have only used to set up with such as it needs to start up in Windows 10, but but no further use so far. One screenshot image, no other data stored.

The laptop I'm using to write this only comes with 365GB on disk, but allowed me, using Disk Manager in Windows, to shrink its C partition far smaller than that before installing Ubuntu 18.04.lap

I don't know if downloading Easeus https://www.easeus.com/partition-man...partition.html or
    Aomei https://www.diskpart.com/articles/sh...rive-3889.html would be a safe & sensible solution.... and also within my capabilities, without getting into deeper water.

* Alternatively, a more radical route - this laptop dualboots into Windows and will hopefully go on doing so, for the rare occasions we need it.
    I could simply do a clean install and get rid of Windows on the Asus. Am I right to believe that laptop processors are marked in such a way that if I did need to have Windows re-installed, the licence would still be there and a re-load would be all that was needed, rather than paying for new software?
    It's very tempting.

Yours gratefully.
    Last edited by Richard_York; June 30th, 2020 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Extra point to add