Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good alternative to videostream for chromecast

Beans

Re: Good alternative to videostream for chromecast

Don't know how videostream does it, but it does not seem to use much cpu. Have never heard my fans come on when using videostream. With plex fans went to maximum and was not even trying to convert video, gnomecast had fans high converting/transcoding. TVs are in other rooms and chromecast has been easier to use than moving computer or getting very long HDMI cable.

Beans

Question, by unticking/removing the google chrome line in software sources, will that prevent/disable chrome from updating and/or removing apps during future updates? I know it is bad to not update, but only use chrome for the videostream app. Use firefox and/or opera for most browsing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Removing the Goggle Chrome repository will prevent updates, of course, as that is the only source for those updates. Chromium OTOH comes from official sources.

Beans

As far as I know, there are many alternatives to the video stream for chromecast. Personally, I use virgin multi room TV. This is a device, after connecting which, everyone in the house watches different shows at the same time, without interfering with each other. Fortunately, many channels are included in the package, so there are always interesting shows or movies. By the way, this is a useful device for those families and homes that have more than one TV. You can buy a virgin multi room here https://xtrium.com/virgin-multi-room/ it is really very economical and we do not pay several different bills.
    Last edited by durandot; February 10th, 2021 at 12:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12