Thread: Kernel version Question?

Beans

Kernel version Question?

Hi every ones,new to Linux and was wondering as my Ubuntu 20.04LTS came with version 5.4.0.33 is it ok to merge to the latest 5.7 without following the 5.4 family?
    Any advantages?
    And if so,why continuing to develop the 5.4 if the newest 5.7 or 5.8 is better??

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Kernel version Question?

Quote Originally Posted by spiderbait View Post
    And if so,why continuing to develop the 5.4 if the newest 5.7 or 5.8 is better??
    Ubuntu is not a rolling release distro. The versions of software are fixed at the time of release (with some limited exceptions), but security and bug fixes are backported to those versions. Kernel updates come to the Long Term Support releases from the later short term releases through the Hardware Enablement stack.

Participating in kernel testing isn't really something to recommend to someone that's new to Linux but, if you want to, it's your machine.

Beans

If you are asking then I don't suggest you start messing with kernels without a lot of research. One way to know is; is all of your hardware working? If yes then you don't need to change kernels.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This forum has a Ubuntu development version section where those experimenting with the very latest kernels exchange comments. Those brave people have already moved on to 5.8

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2445465

This is their 5.7 thread

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2440607

One thing I learned from running a release candidate kernel is that proprietary video drivers may not work as they have not been patched for the kernel. I gave up experimenting with release candidate kernels because my video card was so old and the video driver (proprietary or open source) was not patched for the kernel.

I do run the Ubuntu development version so I do get these kernels eventually and the OS does not fall over. So, if you want to experiment then dual boot Ubuntu LTS with another install of Ubuntu that you will not mind re-installing.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530