Thread: Having Issues installing a driver

Beans

Having Issues installing a driver

Hello! I tried to follow the instructions in the stickied post titled "How to install a driver for the broadcom series of PCI wireless cards" and ran into some difficulties,

When I type #sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source

It says #E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend. It is held by process 2296 (apt)
    N: Be aware that removing the lock file is not a solution and may break your system.
    E: Unable to acquire the dpkg frontend lock (/var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend), is another process using it?

Would anyone be able to help me? I am currently using my phone as a personal hotspot for internet but that won't be too sustainable.

ISSUE IS SOLVED, I DONT KNOW HOW TO EDIT THE TITLE SO ITLL SAY THAT
    Last edited by leflea; June 18th, 2020 at 12:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Having Issues installing a driver

You might need to reboot and try installing again, please post results from terminal for
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 net

Beans

Re: Having Issues installing a driver

I finally fixed it, thank god, but I'll outline everything I did incase someone else it experiencing this error.

After receiving the message I posted about I rebooted my computer and it went away but said something about needing a CDROM

I went to the "Software and Updates" application and unchecked the box under "Installable from CDROM" then repeated the process and thankfully it worked

Thank you everyone! I had to piece this together with about 40 other forums posts haha, hopefully someone can get something out of this one.