Thread: Network Issues on Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Network Issues on Ubuntu 20.04

Hey guys, sorry I feel like this question is super simple but I JUST installed Ubuntu from a USB and did not see any way to connect to the internet in the hotbar. When I went in the network setting the only ones available were just to setup a VPN, I can't find any wireless connections, and I do not own an ethernet cable to try a wired connection.

I tried searching the internet for help, but all of it was outdated, and did not work for me.

Thank you so much for the help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Network Issues on Ubuntu 20.04

Welcome.

Is it a laptop? If so you can check your networking hardware with
    Code:
    lspci -knn | grep Net -A3
    and then post the result here, preferably in code tags (Go advanced, press "#" and paste inside).
    This should be enough to know what to do.

Beans

Sorry, I don't know how to go advanced in the terminal, so I'll just post what it said when I typed that in

03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [14e4:43a0] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: Apple Inc. BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter [106b.0117]
    Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
    Kernel modules: bcma
    04:00.0 SATA controller [0106]: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SS9183 PCIe SSD Controller [1b4b:9183] (rev 14)

Also I'm accessing the forum from a separate computer and just had to type all that out, do you know of an easier way because that might take a while if this goes on

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not "go advanced" in terminal, it's the "Go Adavanced" button right here when posting. It opens a lot more formatting options including the one I mentioned.
    Also there's a specific "Networking & Wireless" section in the forum. That section is more appropriated for your question and there you would find this sticky thread https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2214110 which is all about Broadcom chipsets like the one you have.

So, from there, we can find that the driver installed automatically is likely wrong. Remove and install the correct one. You need an alternative internet connection. We know you don't have an Ethernet cable. You can use USB tethering from your phone (it'll take seconds and the data to download is negligible):

Code:
    sudo apt remove bcma-pci-bridge
    sudo apt install bcmwl-kernel-source
    Reboot and the WiFi should be working.

Beans

First of all, I wanted to thank you so much for being so kind and helpful, I really appreciate it

I turned the hotspot on my phone on, and connected it to my computer, and everything was fine with that

I typed in "sudo apt remove bcma-pci-bridge" and it keeps repeating "Waiting for cache lock: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock-frontend It is held by process 2296 (apt)" and then there is a timer in seconds after it
    Last edited by leflea; June 17th, 2020 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

That message appears whenever another process is accessing the database. Usually the system is checking for/trying to install updates in the background. This may happen with or without internet connection. Just wait a couple of minutes an try again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.