Thread: youtube: Save the file that is open in the filesystem?

Beans

youtube: Save the file that is open in the filesystem?

I used to be able to start a youtube video, then find it in the filesystem by searching for open files,

Code:
    $ lsof -n | grep Flash
    and then save the flash file to one of my directories on the drive.

Either I can't now remember the method correctly, or the world has changed---I can't do it anymore. Can anyone tell me where the open file is or how I can find it in the filesystem (and access it).

Note: Please don't tell me I can download youtube videos using a browser add-on or some particular software---that's not my question.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: youtube: Save the file that is open in the filesystem?

Doesn't downloading content from youtube violate their ToS?

The following restrictions apply to your use of the Service. You are not allowed to:

access, reproduce, download, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, alter, modify or otherwise use any part of the Service or any Content except: (a) as expressly authorized by the Service; or (b) with prior written permission from YouTube and, if applicable, the respective rights holders;
    https://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms

Yes, the world has changed.

Beans

Also youtube hasn't used flash for years. In fact very few websites still use flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 20.04 Focal Fossa

As @TheFu mentioned above it may be illegal to download but the simplest technical solution is to use youtube-dl, either from the repo or from https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/ which will give you the latest version. Again, legality is something you will need to consider before using it.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________
    Sent from my iSomething running Linux - safe, fast and it is free! Didn't have to pay for the badge

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by gdesilva View Post
    Again, legality is something you will need to consider before using it.
    And forum rules and policy are something that need to be considered before posting about it: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2439118

Thread closed.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.