Thread: setting short password not in the terminal - is it possible?

Beans

setting short password not in the terminal - is it possible?

hi
    i want to change my system password.
    i want to set a short password but not allowed to.
    is there a way to bypass that that doesn't involved with using the terminal?

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: setting short password not in the terminal - is it possible?

Not that i know. Open a terminal, type "passwd"
    Enter the same password 3 times.
    Done.

That only changes the current userid password. i don't know what a "system password" is. Never heard of that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Careful: If you have an encrypted /home or full disk encryption, changing your password will likely result a disastrous emotional event.

Also, short passwords are inherently dangerous. "I'll be careful."; "I live alone."; "Nobody has access to my machine."; "I won't go on the web." So many reasons people arrive here asking about how to fix compromised machines.

My recommendation: Don't do short passwords.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Full disk encryption isn't tied to any single userid password. LUKS has 8 slots for different decryption methods. These are completely, 100% separate from login passwords or ldap passwords.

i have no idea how home directory encryption ties into the userid's password.

My login password is over 25 characters.

My LUKS passphrase uses a yubikey for challenge-response and the backup LUKS passphrase is over 65 random characters that I’m not sure i could actually type and there is a 2-part static LUKS paraphrase that used a long password on the beginning and a static replay from a different yubikey for the 2nd half. it must be 80 characters total, at least.

i have excellent backups on all my systems, but especially on encrypted systems. if anything bad happens to encrypted storage, a backup that can be restored is the only answer.

Beans

> i want to set a short password but not allowed to.
    is there a way to bypass that that doesn't involved with using the terminal?

--There's no reason to NOT use the terminal, and learning how to leverage its power will get you farther than almost any GUI. Root is allowed to do almost anything; if you want to set a short password - and you know what you're doing and accept the risks - issue ' sudo passwd useridhere ' and it might warn you, but it won't stop you.

--That said, if it's a long password for root, you might read up on how to issue certain sudo commands without a password. If you're in a home environment it doesn't matter much, but setting a short password is a huge security risk if it's business-related. If it involves ssh, there are ways to use private-key authentication instead of having to type a password. Knowing more about WHY you want to set a short password, and what you want to accomplish, would be useful.

REFs:
    https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-...ut-a-password/

https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...up-ssh-keys--2

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

We can change a user password in System Settings>Users. Whether it will allow a password less than 6 characters is another matter.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

It is controlled by PAM and she is a very sensitive girl and not to be messed with, since if PAM has a bad hair day, then you can be locked out of your machine.

Anyhoo, many moons ago, a younger me have made lots of money repairing Linux machines after someone decided that a four character password is kewl...

Beans

interesting ideas
    thanks!