Thread: any known issues with encryption on USB memory sticks?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

any known issues with encryption on USB memory sticks?

are there any known issues with fulldisk style (or that way by partition) encryption on a USB 3.0 memory stick (or external flash drive). i'm curious about experiences. i want to disable automount on the stick itself even if i plug it into a system with automount enabled (my laptop normally has automount disabled). i might want to network it up to the cloud to mount it there (and make sure the cloud instance is doing the crypto). i'll probably be doing ext4 in the secure space but am open to other ideas.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: any known issues with encryption on USB memory sticks?

I have recently been playing with Full disk encryption on a Ubuntu Full install Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB drive.
    I used the regular installer with advanced features installation type. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1244...244409#1244409
    Had to remove the HDD to make the USB and it only worked in BIOS mode, the mode I made it in.
    I previously made a Full disk encryption on a Ubuntu Full install using Paddy Landau's method.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1086...isk-encryption
    It took a little longer but worked on both BIOS and UEFI.

Beans
    Distro

so it needed to see the USB disk as /dev/sda (it would have been /dev/sdb if the HDD was still attached)?
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans
    Distro

Yes, sda if only one drive plugged in.

Beans
    Distro

and what did you install from? bootable CD or DVD?

Beans
    Distro

Often I install a Live System to the target USB and boot toram. I am then able to install to the same disk which would be sda. The BIOS/UEFI booter can be created booting in BIOS mode, EFI system partition is created ahead of time.