Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: autoremove deletes keyboard driver, cannot write login password

Beans

autoremove deletes keyboard driver, cannot write login password

Many installs recommend autoremove to clean out deadwood. Since, years ago, I got a machine completely cleaned out, including the OS by autoremove, I never touched it again. Until the other day, figuring it surely was decommissioned and replaced older versions. It was quite a lot and the names that zipped by, such as 'gnome...' looked rather suspicious. Well--here I go again! This time Ubuntu is still there all right, but firing up I get as far as to the login and cannot enter the password, because the keyboard is dead. So my question is: Isn't there a recovery mode to get into with appropriate fingering? Or could I get back in with a boot CD or USB stick? And what would be the best way to make those?

Frederic

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: autoremove deletes keyboard driver, cannot write login password

Since this has happened twice, maybe your not autoremove clean out often enough.
    I have never come across this scenario. I never let it build up.
    It would be hard to back tract since apparently you had many old files.
    Have you tried logging in with the live session, chroot and add keyboard?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu does have a recovery mode. You may be able to access it if you see a Grub boot menu. Which we will not see if Ubuntu is the only OS. So, here is the way to call it up.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode

If you wish to download from the internet you should first of all select Network at the recovery menu. That will set up a network connection. At the menu if we select Root we get a root shell prompt where we can issue commands. Typing "exit" will bring us back to the recovery menu. Selecting Resume will load to a desktop but without activating any video drivers. So, expect a rather large size desktop. May be the keyboard will work with the Grub menu and the Recovery menu as the activity is happening before the OS is loaded.

You do not say what version of Ubuntu you are using. The login screen is presented by a Display Manager and not by the desktop environment. You may need to re-install Gnome and Gnome 3 shell.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thank you both. I followed the recovery mode procedure finishing with 'Resume' as recommended. A normal login followed and I still had no keyboard. Same thing over again up to the recovery menu. An item 'Repair broken packages' looks much to the point. Should I try that? Or rather do an 'upgrade' from a root terminal?

Frederic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It depends.

If it's an EoL release jjust do your backups if needed from the live session and install fresh a supported release.

Beans

Which release of Ubuntu are you using, please?

Beans

18.04 LTS on a Dell Latitude E6530.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Autoremove is usually safe to use. That being said, if you delete a program that is closely tied to the stock Gnome install for example, you may well find that Autoremove then wants to remove the rest of the Gnome desktop or at least part of it. I had this happen in a debian install. That's why I use synaptic to install remove programs. Then you can see immediately what's left in autoremove, & make a better informed decision. My advise is don't delete/uninstall anything that comes with the vanilla install, unless you're certain you know what you're doing.

Beans

Speartip, advice well taken. Thanks. For the immediate, I am kind of spinning in a circle, working Grahammetrical's recipe (post #3). I tried 'Repair broken Packages'. This option failed with 'Failed to fetch httpname)' errors. Next try was 'Drop to root shell prompt' and 'apt-get update'. Same error. I don't seem to have an internet connection. How would I connect from the root shell prompt. I suppose I have to configure the connection first.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

So assuming your using ubuntu gnome 18.04, if we can resolve the broken package issue, then a simple:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop
    should resolve the problem, bearing in mind you said a lot of gnome stuff got deleted in post 1.
    Do you know what the broken package is? and do you have any 3rd party repos enabled?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast