Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows ctrl-alt-del replacement

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Windows ctrl-alt-del replacement

What's the best way to emulate, on lubuntu, Windows' ctrl-alt-del functionality?

I was thinking of trying to setup a key binding to allow ctrl-alt-del to fire up gnome-system-monitor, but would it also be an idea to set something up to restart the gui somehow, e.g. if an errant application (mainly google earth in my case) has hung in such a way as to disable the mouse and keyboard..

Beans
    Distro

Re: Windows ctrl-alt-del replacement

I don't quite understand what you need. In Win10 the Ctrl-Alt-Del brings up:

Code:
    Lock
    Switch User
    Sign out
    Change a password
    Task Manager
    Which ones do you want?

Beans

has hung in such a way as to disable the mouse and keyboard..
    so how you going to press a key combination if the keyboard isn't working?

Which ones do you want?
    the task manager i'd imagine?

you could set up a keyboard shortcut to open terminal ( i use F1 ) and in terminal type xkill ,that should enable you to click in the window that have crashed and kill it.
    but of course,you're keyboard should be working...
    Last edited by 3nd; June 14th, 2020 at 07:33 AM.
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

You haven't mentioned your release of Lubuntu.
    Legacy Lubuntu using LXDE ?
    or a modern Lubuntu using LXQt ?

I didn't know what CTRL+ALT+DEL would do, so I pressed it. Turns out it brings up Qps (modern Lubuntu), but I don't read the manual enough like most of us ...
    https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/F/k...shortcuts.htmlhttps://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/3/3...tcut_keys.html

Beans
    Distro

The GUI task manager in Lubuntu 19.04 and newer is called htop. You could make shortcut key to that, if you want.
    Last edited by ml9104; June 14th, 2020 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

19.10 64-bit

Yeah essentially it's something like the task manager I'm after. Emergency escape from hung gui system allowing either a return after killing off the problem, or at least a graceful shutdown

In Windows, ctrl-alt-del seems to be able to invoke the task manager even if the system has otherwise frozen to the extent that the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive in any applications or even the Windows GUI itself, allowing one to select and kill whatever is causing the problem (usually one can sort the entries by memory or cpu usage & that will indicate whatever process has gone awry)

I was having some success with ctrl-alt-f2, which drops my machine out of the lubuntu GUI into a virtual terminal. Once in the terminal using 'top' showed image names against process IDs, and then I could kill the process ID. Then get back into the GUI with ctrl-alt-f1 (from what I've read the exact ctrl-alt- sequence differs on different hardware)

This worked for a while but I eventually came across instances where Google Earth hung the system so badly that even ctrl-alt-f2 wouldn't drop me to a terminal.

I've only got 3Gb RAM on this system. I read Lubuntu wants at least 4, I've ordered 2 4Gb sodimm's so maybe that will prevent the GE crashes.. but interested in ways to gracefully escape a badly hung lubuntu gui all the same..

Beans

i also has only 3Gb RAM and my google earth runs flawlessly .
    xubuntu 20.04 LTS (focal fossa)

Beans
    Distro

The sequence to get to a Terminal is normally Ctrl+Alt+t. To get back, closing it or typing 'exit' is usually enough.
    3 GB is enough for Lubuntu, even 2 GB will run well. The lower limit of 4 GB is rather for Ubuntu.
    And as said, HTOP is the GUI task manager in Lubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

perorm REISUB when all is stuck: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

A common use of the magic SysRq key is to perform a safe reboot of a Linux computer which has otherwise locked up (abbr. REISUB). This can prevent a fsck being required on reboot and gives some programs a chance to save emergency backups of unsaved work.[4] The QWERTY (or AZERTY) mnemonics: "Raising Elephants Is So Utterly Boring", "Reboot Even If System Utterly Broken" or simply the word "BUSIER" read backwards, are often used to remember the following SysRq-keys sequence:
    • unRaw (take control of keyboard back from X),
    • tErminate (send SIGTERM to all processes, allowing them to terminate gracefully),
    • kIll (send SIGKILL to all processes except init, forcing them to terminate immediately),
    • Sync (flush data to disk),
    • Unmount (remount all filesystems read-only),
    • reBoot.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for your tips folks - appreciated

I've tried experimenting with the magic SysRq key but can't seem to get it to do anything.

On my Microsoft-branded UK qwerty keyboard there is no explicit SysRq key, but there is a PrtScn key which I've read is equivalent?

I read somewhere the content of /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq determines the state of enablement of the SysRq key, looking at my copy of the file it contains "176".

But the path of that file looks a bit scary to me so I haven't tried changing anything.. should I change "176" to "1" to enable SysRq? or am I trying the wrong keys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast