Thread: 18.04 hung at unity-greeter

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Question 18.04 hung at unity-greeter

I have had a functional Ubuntu 18.04 system with Unity and unity-greeter installed. Now, after a while, it started hanging at unity-greeter: the greeter is displayed fine, but the computer doesn't react to keyboard nor mouse and I cannot switch to alternate terminals with Ctrl+Alt+F1, Ctrl+Alt+F2 etc.

I am able to boot to GRUB and choose alternate kernels to boot into, with or without recovery mode, but it hangs all the same.

The system is configured with LVM and full disk encryption. I am able to enter encryption password at the prompt, then hit Esc key to see diagnostic messages scrolling by, then the system is hung at the greeter.

Where do I look to figure out what's wrong? I suspect it's something video drivers or X-related, because I switched to the latest video drivers, X and stuff in order to optimize my gaming performance. I was going to switch from PlayOnLinux to Lutris, and started by installing the recommended drivers, latest Wine, then switching to the LTS Enablement Stack (just in case) and whatnot (I intended to document the changes, but haven't gotten around to it).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 18.04 hung at unity-greeter

Wow! I hadn't realized there was a Unity-centric community dedicated to keeping Unity going for Ubuntu at: https://ubuntuunity.org/

When I looked though, there wasn't any activity on their forum. Maybe their Twitter account or something would be a place to inquire. Canonical gave up on Unity when 18.04 first came out.
    Reminder: If you start a thread asking for help with a problem, please remember to use the Thread Tools to mark the issue as "SOLVED" once you have a solution. This will help other people with the same problem when they search for answers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MoebusNet View Post
    Wow! I hadn't realized there was a Unity-centric community dedicated to keeping Unity going for Ubuntu at: https://ubuntuunity.org/

When I looked though, there wasn't any activity on their forum. Maybe their Twitter account or something would be a place to inquire. Canonical gave up on Unity when 18.04 first came out.
    Most of the discussions are here https://discourse.ubuntu.com/c/desktop/ubuntu-unity-dev

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'd like to ask you not to write this off as a Unity problem. This is a Ubuntu problem:

How do I recover a system that is hung at the greeter?