Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 repository still for mariadb 10.3 question

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 repository still for mariadb 10.3 question

Hi all.

I am new to using a VPS / Ubuntu and was hoping that someone could advise me on the following:
    If I build a wordpress blog on Ubuntu 20.04 vps then MariaDB installs with version 10.3. Although this is not the latest version, I understand that this is a stable version and have been advised that its ok to use 10.3 for the next couple of years.
    My question are:
    How come Ubunto 20.04 downloads an old version of Mariadb?

Will Ubuntu likely update the repositories in the future so I can update my database easier?

If not , then how easy is it to update in say 2 years when support runs out for the version of Mariadb?

Will it be a case of updating to the new ubuntu next main its release which will then upgrade my version of mariadb to a more recent version?
    My blog by then will have lots of content on it, so I suppose im a bit worried about not being able to just transfer it over to a new version when needed.
    Im I worrying for nothing here.

Thanks in advance

blueclcl

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 repository still for mariadb 10.3 question

Ubuntu isn't a rolling release distribution. Packages can be left in favour of stability. This is especially true in the LTS releases.
    There are PPAs on Launchpad.net
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ppas?name_filter=mariadb

These come with the usual caveats of a PPA. Remember to filter the PPA for your release name as not all PPAs support all releases

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 repository still for mariadb 10.3 question

Thanks for the reply.