Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UbuntuStudio 20.04.1 or jump to Kubuntu + Ubuntu Studio Installer ?

Beans

UbuntuStudio 20.04.1 or jump to Kubuntu + Ubuntu Studio Installer ?

Knowing that 20.04 will be the last version to go with Xfce and with the 20.04.1 release coming closer in July, I am wondering if I should jump straight to Kubuntu 20.04 with Ubuntu Studio installed on top. It seems from the news postings that that has been the preferred solution of most of the devs for some time already.

I've been using UbuntuStudio for some 7 years and I've become used to Xfce DE. I take it that KDE Plasma 5 is 'better' than Xfce as far as the devs are concerned.

Does anyone have any experience of Xfce v Plasma or the use of the Ubuntu Studio installer on top of other flavours that they would be willing to share?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: UbuntuStudio 20.04.1 or jump to Kubuntu + Ubuntu Studio Installer ?

If you are used to Xfce, why not use Xubuntu rather than Kubuntu and add the specific applications that make up Ubuntu-Studio to the standard installation.

I don't know what those applications are, I'm afraid, but it must be possible to figure out from a current studio installation.
    Here's a list as a txt file of what would bw added to my Xubuntyu 20.04 if I installed the ubuntu-studio-core package. I already have quite a good assortment of multimedia packages installed (vlc, audacious, audacity, handbrake, openshot, ffmpeg, audio-recorder) so they will not be listed here even if they're dependencies of the studio metapackage.

I hope this helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The main difference with Ubuntu Studio is that it uses the -lowlatency kernel by default rather than the -generic one. It's easy enough to install that in whichever flavour you prefer.

Beans

The UbuntuStudioInstaller (https://ubuntustudio.org/ubuntu-studio-installer) is a sort of one-shot super package for adding UbuntuStudio capabilities (functionality) to any official flavour of Ubuntu and one of its features is the ability to select subsets of functionality according to your needs.

Apparently the Plasma5 and Xfce have negligible differences in demands on RAM so the choice depends upon such subtleties as 'looks and feel' and 'ways of doing things'. I haven't completely understood why the majority of UbuntuStudio devs are already using the Plasma5 DE.

I am hoping some of you can come forward with your opinions on the differences between the two DE's (and your prejudices, why not?).

Maybe I'll just have to make a live installation of Kubuntu to see Plasma5's 'ways of doing things'.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nosphky View Post
    I am hoping some of you can come forward with your opinions on the differences between the two DE's (and your prejudices, why not?).
    Xfce is a bit more basic, and Plasma has more bells and whistles. They're both very customisable. They're both performant. Plasma can have wobbly windows and a desktop cube without installing anything extra.

Maybe I'll just have to make a live installation of Kubuntu to see Plasma5's 'ways of doing things'.
    That would be my recommendation. And any others that you like the sound of. The default look is not the only look. It really is very customisable.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

[QUOTE=CatKiller;13964943]Xfce is a bit more basic, and Plasma has more bells and whistles. They're both very customisable. They're both performant. Plasma can have wobbly windows and a desktop cube without installing anything extra.

Well thanks for that, CatKiller. I'd never heard of Wobbly windows or desktop cubes. I've checked them out on a couple of Youtube videos and I don't think they're going to excite me. I'm afraid I'm not a great fan of animations or customisation. About the only customisation I do is to set my desktop background to a plain blue colour - reminds me of the good old days of the MS BSOD !

I'm going to make that live installation of Kubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu Studio will use KDE yes, but not all of Kubuntu 20.04 LTS.

From Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #630

Ubuntu Studio 20.10 to Ditch the Xfce Desktop in Favor of KDE Plasma

Marius Nestor writes that the release notes for Ubuntu Studio 20.04 LTS indicated that 20.04 was the last release of Ubuntu Studio that will use the XFCE desktop by default. Ubuntu Studio releases from 20.10 on will include KDE Plasma as it comes with better tools for graphics artists and photographers. Resource usage will remain as light as it was with XFCE for audio production, as the Akonadi server will not be running.

https://9to5linux.com/ubuntu-studio-...-of-kde-plasma
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue630

FYI: I'd recommend reading the Ubuntu Studio release Marius' article is based on, but I was lazy & looked up UWN & just copy/pasted...
    Last edited by guiverc; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:12 PM.

Beans

Thanks, Guiverc, for these leads.
    Over the next week, I'm going to try out Kubuntu and see for myself. I'm pretty sure whichever way I go I'll be able to do what I require of the OS.

Beans

Well ... I did it. Made a live USB stick and tried out Kubuntu. First impressions were that it was very responsive but that the file manager looked a bit 'wireframe-ish' and insubstantial. I got it looking the way I wanted by moving the zoom setting but it took a while to find out where to make actions single click rather than double.

I didn't see any reason I couldn't live with Plasma but in the best interests of procrastination, I'll leave my decision until the .1 update release arrives in July.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Nosphky View Post
    I got it looking the way I wanted by moving the zoom setting but it took a while to find out where to make actions single click rather than double.
    There's a setting for if you want it different.

I didn't see any reason I couldn't live with Plasma but in the best interests of procrastination, I'll leave my decision until the .1 update release arrives in July.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast