Thread: How to load driver module foe Epson printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

How to load driver module foe Epson printer

Hello!

So I'm having trouble working out how to load the driver module for an Epson printer. I ran "sudo apt install printer-driver-escpr" which did it's thing, but the printer still wouldn't work. I then tried "lsmod|grep -E "printer|driver|escpr"" but nothing showed up so I rebooted and tried again but still no luck.

I then ran "dpkg -L printer-driver-escpr" which showed me various file-paths leading to libraries of the same name as the package, which I then used in conjunction with "modinfo" to basically just see what it would tell me, but to no avail.

Can anyone give me any clues?

Edit: okay so in a thrilling twist I plugged the printer in after I rebooted the laptop and it now offered me two printer devices - one was just named "Epson ET-2550" and the new addition was "Epson ET-2550-series" with the second one showing it's location as the name of my laptop. At this point I tried printing using the latter and it worked.

still I'd like to find out if the printer is using the driver I downloaded or if something else is going on, as GNOME settings just shows the printers driver as "EPSON ET-2550 Series" which isn't the name of the package I installed?
    Last edited by jcdenton1995; June 11th, 2020 at 07:31 PM.