Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Days of Yore

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Days of Yore

You know, back in the 8.04 - 14.10 days, these forums were hoppin'!

I have noticed a slowdown from there on out... and now that we're at 20.04, the forums seem dead by comparison.

Do you think this has to do with the fact that Linux in general has become a lot better over the years, and people don't need as much help anymore?
    Do you think it has to do with there being many new forms of Linux support out there, via YouTube, blogs, etc. ?

What do you think has caused the decline in forum use?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Days of Yore

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    I have noticed a slowdown from there on out... and now that we're at 20.04, the forums seem dead by comparison.

Do you think this has to do with the fact that Linux in general has become a lot better over the years, and people don't need as much help anymore?
    Do you think it has to do with there being many new forms of Linux support out there, via YouTube, blogs, etc. ?
    IMO, yes, yes and something else.

Beans

well I can only speak for myself, but ... it just works! and better hardware support. dell xps with preinstalled ubuntu, and hp printer with hplip drivers. zero faffage! I'm on the raspberry pi and openhab forums a bit

Beans

I started with Debian Wheezy and Ubuntu 14.04 and used desktops that had Intel Pentium 4 processors and Intel integrated graphics adapters and everything installed and worked OOTB.

I've had excellent results with Linux and Intel based computers / hardware OOTB.

I Have no idea how Linux was in its early days although today's Linux is awesome imo.
    Last edited by poorguy; June 17th, 2020 at 02:15 AM.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans

Plus the competition from askubuntu as a resource.

I do remember the busy days on UF, it was huuuge, but Ubuntu/Linux wasn't as userfriendly as it's now, which will explain a lot.
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Beans

FWIW.

I just did a clean install of Ubuntu 20.04 on a 2013 Dell Optiplex XE desktop and the install and updates and the additional software all from the Ubuntu repository went without a hitch OOTB.

I don't know exactly what all Snaps Packages come installed as default however I've not noticed any slowness or any issues with how everything works.

Ubuntu 20.04 Rocks imo.
    Last edited by poorguy; June 18th, 2020 at 04:54 PM.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know exactly what all Snaps Packages come installed as default
    Use the command
    Code:
    snap list
    to see what snaps are installed, if any.
    If using the software store to install stuff, check the details section of the app to see where it comes from.
    Snaps all come from snap store.
    (If you use synaptic don't worry, synaptic doesn't handle snaps like Ubuntu's Software store program does)
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Hello deadflowr,

Thanks for the command.

I did install the additional software through Synaptic Package Manager.

I ran snap list and here's the output it doesn't look like any Snaps are installed.

Code:
    thomas@Dell-OptiPlex-XE:~$ snap list
    Name               Version             Rev   Tracking         Publisher   Notes
    core18             20200427            1754  latest/stable    canonical✓  base
    gnome-3-34-1804    0+git.3009fc7       36    latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
    gtk-common-themes  0.1-36-gc75f853     1506  latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
    snap-store         3.36.0-80-g208fd61  454   latest/stable/…  canonical✓  -
    snapd              2.45.1              8140  latest/stable    canonical✓  snapd
    thomas@Dell-OptiPlex-XE:~$

Thanks
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Hidden!

In fact by default, if you use synaptic or apt in 20.04 to install chromium it will install a package which is just a snap installer for the snap version.

If you want to use a .deb version you will have to add a ppa to your sources, which I have done so I can speak with some personal experience on these forums, though I also use the snap for comparison; you can have both versions on an installation and they seem to coexist quite happily together, using the same configuration files.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: question in post #1. (Now discussion on snaps).
    Answer: Don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast