Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good Music Player for Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Looking for a good Music Player for Ubuntu 20.04

I am new to Ubuntu and have thus far only worked with Windows. For years I have been using a favorite (older version of) iTunes for a huge audio library (synced with a 160Gb iPhone Classic, to give you an idea of the size).

Ubuntu 20.04 comes with Rhythmbox, but I would like something visually more appealing that will also allow me to easily organize the music library (I don't like how it all appears on Rhythmbox --seemingly random-- and the fact that there are so few options for customization).

What music players do you members on this forum like that might give me what I am looking for?
    Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Looking for a good Music Player for Ubuntu 20.04

https://www.slant.co/topics/5260/~me...yers-for-linux

And you can install iTunes with Wine but be aware it'll work as media player only, it won't sync with Apple devices. On top of that your (older version of) iTunes likely will be easier to install than the current version.

Beans

Thank you @CelticWarrior. Good list; I will check if Clementine accomodates playlists and customization.
    I set up Ubuntu as double boot with W7 just so I can do the occasional sync between iTunes and iPod (on windows). So I won't be needing it for that on Ubuntu. I am just looking for an appealing player with enough options that is open source and Linux compatible.

Beans

you could also check out banshee

Beans

guayadeque is very featureful and is good at handle large music collections. strawberry seems nice but I don't know how it manage large collections. My own collection is very small, less than 10G. The previous post mentions Banshee, personally I don't like it, find it too bloated and I don't like a music management app that also plays videos, there are much better video players like mpv.

Beans

Good points, @monkeybrain. I am indeed looking for a player for just music, not videos. I guess that rules out Banshee (thanks anyway, @3nd). I will see if I can find out how Guayadeque compares to Clementine. Thanks for the recommendation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Audacious - it has tabs which make organization easy.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

vlc is okay for me.
    corn ubuntuforums community.
    Open Source platform where the real world of human is here. Click here for Solve thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    you could also check out banshee
    In 20.04? It's not in the 20.04 repositories.

Banshee appears to be abandonware - last stable release was over 6 years ago. I found it very buggy in 16.04 and unusable in 18.04. A great pity - I liked it, but with no active development for years I've had to find an alternative.

@wmrp, I use Clementine now. It's good and at least it doesn't crash all the time the way Banshee did in 18.04. Let us know which of the suggestions you find best for your needs. Good luck.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Reviewers state that they have a hard time getting guayadeque to install on 20.04
    I may give Clementine a try first, as it is in the Ubuntu Software store and is hopefully easy to work with. Hopefully it can handle my (currently) 147 GB of music.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast