Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This forum needs a thanks button

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This forum needs a thanks button

Not to be a disruptive newcomer but I fell like this forum could really benefit from a thanks button on each post, even if it doesn't contribute to any sort of tally like on other forums. There is no way to acknowledge someones reply short of commenting, which leads to the thread getting filled up with "thanks, thank you, nice one, cheers" if there are a number of users who reply.

Other than that It's a really great forum!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: This forum needs a thanks button

Quote Originally Posted by jcdenton1995 View Post
    Not to be a disruptive newcomer but I fell like this forum could really benefit from a thanks button on each post, even if it doesn't contribute to any sort of tally like on other forums. There is no way to acknowledge someones reply short of commenting, which leads to the thread getting filled up with "thanks, thank you, nice one, cheers" if there are a number of users who reply.

Other than that It's a really great forum!
    +1

Beans
    Distro

Reputation bar would be nice, adding it to the user's Launchpad karma could be programmatically possible.

However, I sense an air of general respect for people who share and engage with competent posts, even when disagreements are made. For this reason, I enjoy being here rather than the more popular platforms like discourse.

Lacking a reputation bar also improves a sense of anonymity, which allows users who may have a public profile remain low profile here if they wish. It's more difficult to identify community members who are more engaged this way, which requires users to discern the credibility of each reply. I feel like I wouldn't have it any other way... but I understand the want to be accredited for work done.
    Last edited by EuclideanCoffee; June 11th, 2020 at 04:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

We won't add a "Thanks button" or a "Reputation" score because such things are abused. This may result in inflated reviews that would seem to indicate that some user or another is more likely to provide a good answer. Conversely, animosity may beget poor votes.

These suggestions are non-starters and the policy was decided long ago by the Forum Council. You will also notice that many of us hide our bean counts to avoid being seen as more expert than others.

There is little value in further comment.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

I was about to post when QIII beat me to it, but I will add a couple of points. There was a thanks/like button some years ago. It was comprehensively abused and trolled, and the then Forum Council removed it because of that. Another more practical point is that a thanks button would require a forum software plugin. Plugins are notorious for introducing vulnerabilities. After two serious security breaches of the forum a few years ago, Canonical IS locked down the server good and hard and now has a policy that any plugins or modifications must undergo a security review. This is a complicated and bureaucratic process which almost always ends with the answer no when potential vulnerabilities are found.
    Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. Unsolicited PMs about your account will be ignored. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro

Canonical IS locked down the server good and hard and now has a policy that any plugins or modifications must undergo a security review. This is a complicated and bureaucratic process which almost always ends with the answer no when potential vulnerabilities are found.

That's very responsible. Glad to hear this.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    We won't add a "Thanks button" or a "Reputation" score because such things are abused. This may result in inflated reviews that would seem to indicate that some user or another is more likely to provide a good answer. Conversely, animosity may beget poor votes.
    I totally get that which is why I say it wouldn't necessarily need to add to any sort of reputation score, or any other metric that is visible to other user, but just something that allows one user to acknowledge another users reply to their own question. I often ask a question and get two or three very good replies (or more) and only have anything to say in reply to one, weather that's because another user has made a very similar point, or sometimes just because what they are saying is beyond my own level of experience.

It would be nice to be able to acknowledge someones effort in replying, which at the same time lets them know that you did indeed read their reply and didn't just abandon the post, otherwise I could imagine a scenario where a particular user just stops posting replies to an other's questions because over time they have got the impression that they are wasting their time by replying because they just receive zero feedback, plus it feels rude.

Quote Originally Posted by cofeecat
    a thanks button would require a forum software plugin. Plugins are notorious for introducing vulnerabilities
    If that's the case it's a sensible reason.

Beans

Thanks !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3nd View Post
    Thanks !

no no, that's too much thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm happiest when I see the thread change to [SOLVED]. Doesn't matter who actually figured it out, at least not to me.

That's in the thread tools button at the top of each page and helps both people seeking an answer and the people seeking to help. Only the person who stated the thread can mark it [SOLVED], which is different than some other forums where a wrong answer gets marked and the thread gets closed because some moderator thinks a provided, but incorrect, answer is the best one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast