Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This forum needs a thanks button

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: This forum needs a thanks button

Some like to volunteer at the local food bank. Others prefer giving blood. Millions donate to their charities of choice each year. I like helping out new users one-on-one on these forums. It also benefits me because these forums are a refuge from the sometimes dispiriting human condition out there. We don't do what we do for the thanks. We do it because there's something inside so many of us that compels us to leave this world just that tiny bit better than the way we found it.

That same quiet unspoken feeling of a job well done that food bank volunteers or blood donors or charitable givers feel is enough for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: This forum needs a thanks button

That same quiet unspoken feeling of a job well done that food bank volunteers or blood donors or charitable givers feel is enough for me

I think this analogy works best for someone here for long periods of time, like Ubuntu Members or Forum staff, but for the day-to-day visitor it may not feel like volunteer work.

The good aspect of a help button or point or reputation bar is to provide feedback from the community to the user receiving it.

"This post helped me, thanks." This tells the person that they contributed. It's not money, but it feels like a representation of a reputation. At GitHub we have contribution history. Launchpad has karma. Etc.

https://www.jonobacon.com/books/artofcommunity/

This is a book I read and encouraged other leaders of LUGs when I was more involved with community building. The book in the version I read discussed virtual reputation as currency for users not yet established well-enough into the community to simply stand up on their own name. Worthwhile read for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12