Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 'GNU GRUB' appear after updates and then unable to boot with 5.4.0-37

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 'GNU GRUB' appear after updates and then unable to boot with 5.4.0-37

Yesterday, I launch the software update which updates everything and on reboot, I was presented the "GNU GRUB 2.04" command line.

I had to follow those instruction to help me boot ubuntu. I even had to use the boot-repair tool else, the "GNU GRUB 2.04" command line was always reappearing at each reboot.

And even at that step, it was not booting sucessfully, I had to go to the advance menu to select an old kernel version 5.4.0-34 or 5.4.0-32 to be able to boot because version 5.4.0-37 was always stalling to the second line of the log something like "Loading in memory"

Does anyone encounter those problems?
    Does anyone knows problems with 5.4.0-37?
    How can I stop loading by default the 5.4.0-37 so my laptop can boot sucessfully?
    If anyone knows how to fix this with 5.4.0-37 would be the best option.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 'GNU GRUB' appear after updates and then unable to boot with 5.4.0-

If the previous kernels are well booting, but not the last one, then the problem is about that kernel.
    Be sure linux-generic / build-essential are first installed. Then purge that last kernel (2 headers + 2 modules + image) and reinstall it for testing with the next reboot.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 'GNU GRUB' appear after updates and then unable to boot with 5.4.0-

Hi dino99 thanks for you reply,

- Be sure linux-generic / build-essential are first installed. --> I will check
    - Then purge that last kernel (2 headers + 2 modules + image) --> I'm not a mega ubuntu user.... do you mean some king of sudo apt-get remove XXX???
    - and reinstall it for testing with the next reboot. --> I image the software update tool will do so for me!

Beans

I remove 5.4.0-37 but after software update it then used 5.4.0-38 and everything is fine now.

Thanks for you help dino99