Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux Mint ditches Snap and Snapd

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Linux Mint ditches Snap and Snapd

Linux Mint removes Snap and Snapd from auto install at installation.
    Code:
    A year later, in the Ubuntu 20.04 package base, the Chromium package is indeed empty and acting, without your consent, as a backdoor by connecting your computer to the Ubuntu Store. Applications in this store cannot be patched, or pinned. You can’t audit them, hold them, modify them or even point snap to a different store. You’ve as much empowerment with this as if you were using proprietary software, i.e. none. This is in effect similar to a commercial proprietary solution, but with two major differences: It runs as root, and it installs itself without asking you.

First, I’m happy to confirm that Linux Mint 20, like previous Mint releases will not ship with any snaps or snapd installed.
    Source: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3906
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Linux Mint ditches Snap and Snapd

and Cannonical already replied why they did it like that. they don't have resources to maintain the browser for the all different versions of OS (14.04 Extendend support, 16.04, 18.04, 20.04 and any active releases in between) x multiple versions of architecture (i686, ARM...). so they packaged it in snap which enables them to just create different architecture versions for each update, while snap can be the same for all OS versions.

i think majority of applications will eventually really go into snap or flatpack. they do make sense for developers. however i also think they should improve the performance, so that apps don't take a performance hit/reduction.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Is Mint turning to Flatpack? I thought the major driving force for Mint to ditch snap was because Canonical is the sole source for the packages. It's essentially a closed system.

Beans
    Distro

The driving force behind it is that Mint is losing users to Pop or Manjaro, but ranting and raving about snaps means that people write articles about them and remind people that they exist.

It's not a closed system.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

From that blog link -
    In Linux Mint 20, APT will forbid snapd from getting installed.

You’ll still be able to install it yourself and we’ll document this in the release notes, but by default APT won’t allow repository packages from doing this on your behalf.
    How are they going to achieve this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

This is nothing new, Mint 19 didn't have snap installed by default and had flatpack software available in the Software Manager

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, the article I referenced is from 1 of june and no one mentioned it here, on this forum. So I thought it could be of general interest for all Ubuntu users.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

though, i am not sure why OS devs don't help with snap development rather than just being bothered by it. i mean it does have benefits and if they could remove the minuses in a way it could be a very good thing.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Can someone help a stupid person like me to understand this topic about snaps? Because for me it seems that Ubuntu is favoring convenience for the developers over security and freedom of the users, or am I wrong?

thx in advance

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kevindoor77 View Post
    am I wrong?
    Yes, you're wrong.

This has already been discussed before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast