Thread: Firefox Adobe Flash application showing weird character

Beans

Firefox Adobe Flash application showing weird character

Hi there,

When I access a specific page in Firefox (Lubuntu OS) which loads a Flash Player application I get the characters of the image below.

ae547160-e603-41a5-86b5-ce59c7fd47fe.jpg

The page is http://ce.imbil.com.br/ce/catalogoel...o.cfm?idioma=P .

I've tried font settings (changing fonts and turning on/off the "Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above"), page encoding (which I can't change, firefox doesn't let me) and even some settings in the about:config page.

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Firefox Adobe Flash application showing weird character

Who is still using flash in 2020? Moreover the page said flash 11.1.0 or greater, 11.1.0 is an ancient version so it looks like they haven't updated the webpage for a while.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; June 10th, 2020 at 01:18 AM.

Beans

will you tell me what is the best alternative to adobe flash for Firefox?
    sorry kinda new at this.
    jpf2

Beans

@jpf2: There is no alternative to Adobe Flash on the client side if a server offers content only in Flash format. If you need Flash you can install the package flashplugin-installer ('sudo apt install flashplugin-installer'). This downloads and installs the latest flash and gets regularly updated to get the latest bugfixes. The alternative on the server is obviously HTML 5 and possibly SVG for the vector elements Flash offers with lots and lots of JavaScript.

@geovani25: The page works fine on my machine. Since Flash is not bound by any settings you make in the browser and can and will use whatever font the designer of the page decided on, I think the core of the problem is a font being needed that I have installed and you probably don't. Since a lot of designers don't know or care about Linux, I think they are using some font that's available on Windows. Try installing the 'Microsoft Core Fonts for the Web'. They can be installed through the package 'ttf-mscorefonts-installer' from the repositories.

Thankfully, Flash is going to go away soon.

Holger
    Last edited by Holger_Gehrke; June 13th, 2020 at 12:18 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I don't know your issue, and you haven't provided your release details (a modern LXQt based Lubuntu, or legacy LXDE based, let alone the age of your software stack in use)

Looking at your image, my suspicion is you are missing a font file, thus a backup unreadable character is used maybe. I could be wrong (flash? technically not EOL, but very close).