Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Inherent Dangers of Abandonware IoT Devices

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: The Inherent Dangers of Abandonware IoT Devices

It seems like a better solution for the IoT crap would be at the router/firewall level -- however if your router is 10 years old likely this isn't going to work. I agree that making internet facing devices that have an EOL date or planned obsolescence does introduce a very big risk. I like the truth in Packaging idea however why am I skeptical that will never happen. Industry keen on selling new devices with security taking a backseat.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    It seems like a better solution for the IoT crap would be at the router/firewall level -- however if your router is 10 years old likely this isn't going to work. I agree that making internet facing devices that have an EOL date or planned obsolescence does introduce a very big risk. I like the truth in Packaging idea however why am I skeptical that will never happen. Industry keen on selling new devices with security taking a backseat.
    Nutrition labels didn't happen voluntarily. They were required by the FDA in the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act

SMART for HDDs didn't happen voluntarily. They were required by a govt purchasing department.

Something similar has to happen for network connected devices. Probably the FTC or EU will need to force it. We'll never get anything if it isn't mandated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Nutrition labels didn't happen voluntarily… Something similar has to happen for network connected devices. Probably the FTC or EU will need to force it. We'll never get anything if it isn't mandated.
    I would like to see things go one step further, as mastablasta has outlined: a minimum support period imposed so that IoT products last for more than a measly couple of years. As a corollary issue, we have a real e‑waste problem in our society and two-year planned obsolescence cycles not only rip off consumers, but are socially irresponsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    For a cloud dependent IOT device, I read that as "We guarantee that this device will stop working within two years.". I really can't think why anyone would buy such an item.
    Cogent observation that strikes at the heart of the matter.

1. I'm afraid that most people haven't the foggiest notion of the dangers of dead software, though to be fair, these are not the easiest of concepts to understand.
    2. Unfortunately, a significant contingent also don't care (we even get those on our forums from time to time).
    3. Manufacturers are very aware of consumer ignorance and will opt for product churn over sustainability because that's where the profits are.
    4. If we have to live in a world where product churn is inevitable, I suppose a partial solution might be to charge a recycle fee up front. But this does not solve the security issue.

The problem is both recurrent and tough to tackle. Knowledgeable users don't drive the agenda. The agenda is being driven by this miasma of consumer ignorance and a profit motive that is more than willing to exploit that ignorance.

Uninformed users not only get ripped off, but don't know that they are being ripped off even after their devices lose support. There are millions of users still using Android KitKat, unknowing or uncaring of the danger they pose not only to themselves, but to the larger computing community.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In the European Union there is the WEEE legislation. Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment.

The first WEEE Directive (Directive 2002/96/EC) entered into force in February 2003. The Directive provided for the creation of collection schemes where consumers return their WEEE free of charge. These schemes aim to increase the recycling of WEEE and/or re-use.
    The company that sold the equipment should have a scheme to allow the buyer to return the product without charge. This kind of legislation is all well and good if the items are actually recycled. They are instead most likely put in a shipping container and dumped in Africa or Asia where some small child is given a hammer and told to bash the motherboard to get what little precious metals there are. Oh, let us not mention the hazardous materials present.

Well, why not. It is done with plastic. Is it not?

Regards

https://ec.europa.eu/environment/was...e/index_en.htm
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

let's not even talk about peeping Toms on the net connected easy to use and setup IP camps. not only they had problem with security patching, many people left the default password. i've read that you can see many strange things on certain sites that streamed this video.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    …peeping Toms on the net connected easy to use and setup IP camps…you can see many strange things on certain sites that streamed this video.
    https://www.csoonline.com/article/33...-vr-users.html

I know you said "Let's not even talk about…" but I couldn't resist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12