Thread: Help installing ubuntu with wubi

Beans

Unhappy Help installing ubuntu with wubi

So I have a old windows vista and recently tried to change the OS to Ubuntu 20.04 Version
    I used Wubi so I can keep all my old photos and I didn't have a USB or a CD Disk.
    I booted into ubuntu and waited for everything the install. While it was installing it said

"Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda"
    I didn't know what it meant so i restarted the computer hoping that would fix it
    and now when i boot up into ubuntu i see the logo but after tht its just black and the computer is still on.

I don't know how to fix this and this is the first time ive ever installed linux on a machine as i've usually just used a VM.
    Please Help.
    Last edited by allewdergy; June 8th, 2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: making the post readable.

Beans

Re: Help installing ubuntu with wubi

Hello and welcome to the forums, you should probably forget about installing Ubuntu with Wubi as the project has long since become dormant and unsupported.

An unofficial fork of Wubi seems to be almost alive but I'd suggest sticking to a VM or a proper dual boot.

Beans

Thank you so much! Works great. had a little problems with getting all my photos onto ubuntu but its great so far!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by allewdergy View Post
    Thank you so much! Works great. had a little problems with getting all my photos onto ubuntu but its great so far!
    Cool, not sure what you mean by works great but if it is Wubi then bear in mind that it was always intended to be an easy but temporary way for one to experience Ubuntu in the short term. T'was never intended to be used as a "production" machine long term. Also, I hope that you have your important data backed up to more than one destination.

Beans

How many gigabytes of photos do you have and are they not backed up? If not, why not!?