Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Brother MFC-L8900CDW prints only one copy

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Brother MFC-L8900CDW prints only one copy

This issue is about the inability to print multiple copies of a document from an Ubuntu 20.04 machine.

Brother MFC-L8900CDW printer is plugged in to ethernet and assigned a static IP number since it's purchase 1.5 years ago. Works perfectly with existing Macs and Windows boxes.

New install of Ubuntu 20.04 on newly built machine. I downloaded the drivers from Brother (https://support.brother.com/g/b/down...cdw_all&os=128) and installed them.

Printing seems to work fine as long as I only want one copy of a document. If I change the quantity to any more than one, I still only get one copy.

This occurs using the print dialog boxes in all the applications and browsers I've tried so far.
    It occurs when I print using the lp command, as in:
    lp -n 2 -d MFC-L8900CDW test.txt

I have tried toggling the "collate" option in the print dialog box.
    I have tried the following, changing (all copies found) of the MFC-L8900CDW.ppd file as follows:
    *cupsManualCopies: false
    to
    *cupsManualCopies: true

Neither of these things helped.

Can anyone help with this?
    Thanks,
    Evelyn

brian_p is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Brother MFC-L8900CDW prints only one copy

Hello Evelyn,

Please give what you get for
    Code:
    lpoptions -p MFC-L8900CDW
    Brian.

Beans

Hi Brian,
    Here's what lpoptions returns:
    copies=1 device-uri=ipp://Brother%20MFC-L8900CDW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/ finishings=3 job-cancel-after=10800 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none marker-change-time=1591573113 marker-colors=#000000,#00FFFF,#FF00FF,#FFFF00,none,none,n one marker-high-levels=100,100,100,100 marker-levels=-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,95,88 marker-low-levels=10,10,10,10 marker-names='Black\ Toner\ Cartridge,Cyan\ Toner\ Cartridge,Magenta\ Toner\ Cartridge,Yellow\ Toner\ Cartridge,Waste\ Toner\ Box,Belt\ Unit,Drum\ Unit' marker-types=toner,toner,toner,toner number-up=1 printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info='Brother MFC-L8900CDW series (cups)' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-is-temporary=false printer-location printer-make-and-model='Brother MFC-L8900CDW CUPS' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1591573113 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8523868 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost/printers/MFC-L8900CDW

Thanks for any assistance/suggestions you can give.
    Evelyn

brian_p is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by esbmast View Post
    Hi Brian,
    Here's what lpoptions returns:
    copies=1 device-uri=ipp://Brother%20MFC-L8900CDW%20series._ipp._tcp.local/ finishings=3 job-cancel-after=10800 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none marker-change-time=1591573113 marker-colors=#000000,#00FFFF,#FF00FF,#FFFF00,none,none,n one marker-high-levels=100,100,100,100 marker-levels=-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,95,88 marker-low-levels=10,10,10,10 marker-names='Black\ Toner\ Cartridge,Cyan\ Toner\ Cartridge,Magenta\ Toner\ Cartridge,Yellow\ Toner\ Cartridge,Waste\ Toner\ Box,Belt\ Unit,Drum\ Unit' marker-types=toner,toner,toner,toner number-up=1 printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info='Brother MFC-L8900CDW series (cups)' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true printer-is-temporary=false printer-location printer-make-and-model='Brother MFC-L8900CDW CUPS' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1591573113 printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8523868 printer-uri-supported=ipp://localhost/printers/MFC-L8900CDW

Thanks for any assistance/suggestions you can give.
    Evelyn
    Thank you for the output. I had an idea, but I do not think it will work out. I suggest you report an issue at

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues

referring this thread. I too am unable to print multiple copies on Debian unstable.
    Brian.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brian_p View Post
    Thank you for the output. I had an idea, but I do not think it will work out. I suggest you report an issue at

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues

referring this thread. I too am unable to print multiple copies on Debian unstable.
    I did this, and the problem has been found and fixed with changes to gstoraster and gstopdf. Please see:
    https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues/255

I am new to Ubuntu and unfamiliar with the process. How can I petition for this fix to be incorporated into a 20.04LTS update?

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by esbmast View Post
    I did this, and the problem has been found and fixed with changes to gstoraster and gstopdf. Please see:
    https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/issues/255
    This is still an issue. The above-mentioned "fix" turns out to not address this particular problem.