Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any other OS?

Beans

Any other OS?

Is there any other linux os that I can install once and use it for the rest of my life please? One where I don't need to upgrade every so often to something I never asked for. Something that there is only one version of that will be supported for ever. Something where I only need to upgrade some installed software when necessary.

Is there anything that any of you guys can recommend for me please? Because I am now quite fed up with Ubuntu. I loved Ubuntu 14.04, but after that you just went downhill, and now several hardware on my newe computer does not work with 14.04 any more either. Just because you don't support it any more.

I would appreciate in anyone can recommend something else for me please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Any other OS?

No, there isn't any such OS, Linux based or from any other family, and it shouldn't be.
    There are Linux based OSes with rolling releases where the software is being constantly updated as opposed to the Ubuntu model where for each release the majority of the software is frozen in one specific version (Firefox and all the other web browsers are obvious exceptions for obvious reasons). This doesn't preclude and obviously shouldn't ever do that, the security and other major flaws updates.

As a matter of fact (yes, it's objectively so), the best compromise between (features and overall feeling) stability and safety is the Ubuntu's own Long Term Support (LTS) releases with their 5 years support and easy upgrade path between those releases. This is objectively better than a rolling release where the only certainty is that things break, if not today then tomorrow.

For newer hardware always use the newer and current release. The same for Windows or anything else, period. And NEVER use a release past its expiration date or, even more important, any out-of-support Windows version/release.

Please understand how things work. Then it should be easy to understand why what you want can't be done.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat for a more appropriate fit.

No absolutely not, even windows does not work that way and no operating system ever has.

Beans
    Distro

Red Hat may be something you may want to consider, but you will likely run into similar problems. Red Hat also is slow to upgrade, but they are still upgrades.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If a hacker found a way to exploit your system, and a developer was able to plug the hole via patch update. You would want to update the program. EOL may and do have many such "holes" that will not be patched. Your on your own.

Beans

One thing that I will never be able to understand is why every "upgrade" feels more like a downgrade to me. That was the exact reason why I changed from Windows to Ubuntu several years ago. And Ubuntu 14.04 really did feel like a real upgrade from any version of Windows to me for a change. But after that it was again just the down down downgrade feeling. Anyway, I give up, I don't need this bollie in my life any more. I quit!!!

Beans
    Distro

So you going to get rid of all your computers then? since even windows have upgrades that is the only thing you can do if you quit but if you want help start a thread with one issue per thread and list your specs and someone will try to help.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Are you only updating to the long term releases or are you updating every 6 months? If you are going the every 6 months route, STOP! The interim releases are to be considered beta releases in my mind. Stay with the LTS releases only.

Beans

The interface on xubuntu was very stable over the years. LTS distribution upgrade very two years and the periodical upgrades and you are done.
    On ubuntu this is very straight forward and fast. In my experience ... on windows upgrades consumes much more time and causes more problems. But it is your decision, without updates you have over time open windows everywhere, whatever os ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    if you want help start a thread with one issue per thread and list your specs and someone will try to help.
    Okay, so if I ask you (or anyone else) where I can download the missing drivers for my hardware, even if I have to pay for them) so I can get my hardware working with Ubuntu 14.04, would you (or anyone else) be willing to tell me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast