Re: Any other OS?

I don't think you understand.
    There are no drivers for your hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jwn-2 View Post
    You give me the missing drivers for my hardware, I will install it and keep using 14.04 on my new computer.
    This is the only part worth answering.

There are NO MISSING DRIVERS! They were nonexistent when 14.04 was released and also throughout its kernel cycle.

The drivers you need are included in much newer kernels that can't be used in 14.04. This was explained already. Any distro release is thousands of packets put together and interacting in a way that works or, better said, works for the most part, updates will correct what has been found not working, sooner or later. Using an new kernel, untested in an older release will break things like in what used to work can no longer work.

So, again, for newer hardware you need a newer kernel and that kernel only works with all the other things that make a specific release. Even in a rolling release certain kernel branch upgrades are automatically followed by upgrades in pretty much everything else running in that OS. Or don't, that's when things break and things tend to break a lot in rolling releases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jwn-2 View Post
    But if you do not succeed, you will admit that there is no risk in using any version of Ubuntu for as long as you want, and you keep on supporting Ubuntu 14.04 for the next hundred years.
    No, we won't. The entire Linux community will tell you the same. Using an old version of any distro with an end of life kernel is dangerous.

Please don't ask the community to spend their precious volunteer time helping you shoot yourself in the foot.

Closed.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123