Thread: Modify XML syntax higlighting file sh to deal with bash in gedit, pluma, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Modify XML syntax higlighting file sh to deal with bash in gedit, pluma, etc.

I wonder if you could help me with something that has frustrated me for some time.

There are many XML files for syntax highlighting for use with editors, e.g. gedit and pluma, in the shared area:
    /usr/share/gtksourceview-3.0/language-specs

There isn't one for Bash. Most of the time, the workaround is to use the sh syntax highlighting, but there are a couple of problems with using it for Bash. The worst one that I've come across is where command substitution, using quotes, is used within a case block. An example follows:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

case ${SOMETHING} in
        ( 'a' )
            FILENAME="$( readlink "${ARG}" )"
            ;;
    esac
    CONFUSING_LINE="case esac"
    If you put this into gedit with the sh syntax highlighting, you'll notice that everything after the readlink command is shown as being in quotes — apart from sections that actually are within quotes!

Having this structure in a long script file leads to the syntax highlighting after this point being useless. Well, worse than useless, because it incorrectly highlights quoted content.

So…

I decided that I'd copy the existing sh.lang to bash.lang, and modify it to work with Bash. It didn't take me long to realise that, despite the file being quite short, I was hopelessly lost. I cannot get my head around how to fix this!

Can you help, please? I'd love to finally fix this and submit it for the many people who have also asked about Bash highlighting in gedit and other editors.

Thank you
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Modify XML syntax higlighting file sh to deal with bash in gedit, pluma, etc.

I've just tried your code in Mousepad and I couldn't make heads or tail of it. But Mousepad has a lot of options for marking code/script.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Re: Modify XML syntax higlighting file sh to deal with bash in gedit, pluma, etc.

Works fine on my system with the latest sh.lang file from here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtkso...language-specs

gedit.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by norobro View Post
    Works fine on my system with the latest sh.lang file from here: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gtkso...language-specs
    That's fantastic, thank you! I shall make a note of that link in case of future problems.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.