Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Try Lubuntu Install

Beans

Try Lubuntu Install

Hi,

Attempted to give Lubuntu a try, without installing. I've read in a few forums that you need install the Desktop Version. lubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso I have a 64 bit Lenovo Ideapad 110, with AMD. I also tried the same with Lubuntu 19(.04?) same result. Gives them install options page with no "try Lubuntu without installing"

Thanks,
    Ralph

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Try Lubuntu Install

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your issue.

Yes you can try Lubuntu without installing, and it works.

However it's not perfect (nothing is), I just experienced a fail on a Lubuntu groovy 'live' QA-test because the write to the install media failed, which is not Lubuntu's fault, just a media failure (for whatever cause, likely another thumb-drive is near it's EOL)

To ensure a good result, I firstly validate ISO download (ie. check it's checksum). It's covered in the Lubuntu manual page covering "Retrieving the Image" too (okay I have a script that has automated this task as I'm doing this many times per week)

https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1...the_image.html

Next I write the ISO to media (myself I'll use `mkusb`, but the manual page for that step offers many options (https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1...the_image.html)

Finally is the booting, covered in the next manual section. Refer https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1...tallation.html

The option I will choose is "Start Lubuntu", however if your box has graphics issues, the next option is what I'd likely pick (ie. "Start Lubuntu (safe graphics)"). Refer to https://manual.lubuntu.me/stable/1/1...tallation.html for the image.

When the install media check is performed, do NOT skip it. Failed writes occur, as flash media isn't perfect (my problem currently... they have only a limited number of writes available before they given problems!)

Beans

I mean that I have no problem putting the iso, onto the flash drive and it gives the install options page, "Install Lubuntu, Install Lubuntu image safe(I think), Reboot from hard Drive" etc. 4 options but no "Try Lubuntu without installing" option.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Where did you get it from?

I'm aware there search engines regularly point people to other (non-Ubuntu/non-Lubuntu) sites when they search for "Lubuntu" (and if people don't check it, they may download the ISO from a unofficial site thus end up with something that isn't Lubuntu), but current ISOs should offer what is seen in the manual links I provided earlier (with the minor exception of the "Check disk for defects" doesn't appear on 20.04 as it's done automatically; it'll get removed from the manual once 19.10 is EOL as eoa users still have that option.

My best guess is you asked a search engine where to grab Lubuntu from, and thus downloaded something that isn't an official image (or maybe just something old at best). Which site you go to depends on the language you use in search engines, but Lubuntu's site doesn't have advertizing, so seems not to be favored by google which sends searchers to other sites depending on their language of query (is even wrong for english)...

If this is correct, and you're unsure of what site is legitimate/correct, seek direction from ubuntu.com, where you'll end up at https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours which will send you to the correct web site for whatever Ubuntu flavor you want (and you'll end up at lubuntu.me for Lubuntu).

I would go to http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/re...20.04/release/ and grab a checksum and verify your image is legitimate, my best guess is you didn't download from the legitimate site.

(lubuntu[.]net to my knowledge has never offered bad ISOs if you got it from there, but it's not under Ubuntu or Lubuntu control, and it is often out-of-date and giving wrong ISOs as a result... I can't give advice on the other sites google sends people to if you don't use english, except they aren't under the control of either Lubuntu or Canonical/Ubuntu, and I wouldn't trust them. My advice is to not trust google for official sites unless you know how to verify the results)

Beans

Beans

Hmm. Interesting what you say. Lubuntu.net doesn't seem to have the 20.04 version. I'd be suprised 20.04 seems to be spoken about a lot on youtube.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The lubuntu[.]net site is neither a Ubuntu, nor a Lubuntu site.

The maintainer of it was a maintainer of Lubuntu but left the project, but as he created & owned the web site, and didn't want to give that up, it's remained his, and a new `lubuntu.me` web site was created for the project.

Canonical (the company behind Ubuntu) of course controls ubuntu.com, so it always points to the correct site, ie. lubuntu.me (what I used in example in the prior message). If you want to get more detail, maybe you could look up https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2360662

Because the .net site never directly served ISOs (letting users download them from ubuntu.com avoiding bandwidth costs) users got valid files, but on occasion not the file they wanted (if new ISOs came out, the .net site was regularly providing links to an older ISO and or without wanted fixes).

It's not the only site offering to let you download Lubuntu though found on google

Beans

Wow! Thanks. So much one can learn about Ubuntu! How would anyone else even know, if they didn't with someone informed like yourself! Crazy. That's good to know. So, it looks I downloaded the correct version of Lubuntu. Still no idea why it doesn't offer "Try Lubuntu without...."

Thanks for your help so far. Appreciate it.

Beans

Stupid me! For some reason I didn't take note that it says, "Start Lubuntu" I was looking too hard for the "Try Lubuntu without installing" I'm actually typing this from the Lubuntu usb install. Really impressed. It looks smart, and is lightning quick. I'm gonna switch from Linux Mint. Mint is alright. I got 4gb, Lenovo Ideapad 110. It lags a little on Mint. I think will be faster. Thanks again for all your help guiverc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

A Lenovo Ideapad 110 is what it is. With its Intel® Celeron™ N3060 and integrated Intel® HD Graphics 400 it isn't a fast and powerful machine by any stretch of imagination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast