Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to Delete Linux

I don't think that's what you want.

Does the device have partitions? If so, you want to format them like

Code:
    sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sda2
    not /dev/sda which refers to the whole device. If there's stuff in other partitions on that drive you care about, I hope it's backed up.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

*** withdrawn ***

I agree that formatting the partition is probably a better solution that outright deleting it.
    Last edited by rbmorse; June 7th, 2020 at 03:30 AM.
    regards

Beans

It has only sda1 which you can see in my first post and no, I don't have anything of importance on the system, I've installed it a few days ago.

I guess I don't understand why would I leave a part of the system, a certain partition, when I don't need it and my goal is to delete the entire system and install a new one.

And I repeat, I know I can overwrite the existing system with a new one, installing a new one will delete the existing one, but I would still like to know how to do this command properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ivan23m View Post
    And I repeat, I know I can overwrite the existing system with a new one, installing a new one will delete the existing one, but I would still like to know how to do this command properly.
    And I repeat what others have said, maybe not so explicitly, that likely you still don't know what you want and are chasing a non-solution for a non-problem. OSes aren't really deleted in the same sense we'd use the term "delete" when referring to files, folders and even entire partitions.

If the intention is to sell/give away a certain drive and you're concerned with private data there are tools for wiping it. Those have little to nothing to do with the partitions in the said drive, system or data partitions, it really doesn't matter.

If the intention is to install a different OS its installer likely will do everything that's needed for you. And very likely will also give you the option to reuse previous partitions and/or reformat, delete, resize and/or create new ones. Any Ubuntu installer (live USB or live DVD) comes with GParted (or some DE specific equivalent tool), a convenient GUI tool for managing partitions. With the aforementioned tool you can also totally blank any drive with a couple of clicks (Device menu > New partition table).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If your really, really want to delete that partition, you can use fdisk like this (assumes the partition to be deleted is the first on /dev/sda. Adjust as required):

sudo fdisk /dev/sda

press the "d" key to delete partitions. Fdisk will tell you the partitions it finds on the device (1, 2, 3, etc.) and ask which you want to delete.

In this case, press the "1" (numeral one) key. Fdisk will report the partition has been deleted.

Then press the "w" key to write the change to the disk. Fdisk will report the partition table had been changed and quit.
    Last edited by rbmorse; June 7th, 2020 at 04:45 PM.
    regards

Beans

What I want is to install Windows on this SSD to see if the problems I'm having currently with Linux, not only with this flavor, will show up again. I'm assuming no because I already have a drive with Windows and everything functions well. But that's a topic for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post

If the intention is to sell/give away a certain drive and you're concerned with private data there are tools for wiping it.
    The intention was to install Windows.

"If the intention is to install a different OS its installer likely will do everything that's needed for you."

I know. I wasn't able to boot into one, the Windows installer. I needed to press a key to do that and my USB keyboard during boot was disabled. I thought I could go around that by removing the system that is currently installed, Linux, and then it will start, and that the way to do that was via terminal. When I solved the keyboard part, this became unnecessary. Maybe it was unnecessary all along. I don't know.

When I wrote:

"The question from the title hasn't been answered, but I've got this breakthrough with the keyboard, should I mark as solved? If you wish you can respond to my question about how to proceed with Linux uninstall, maybe someone will find it useful but I think I might not need it anymore."

I meant there that the question about removing it first instead of just overwriting it hasn't been answered at that point and someone might find it useful so you can explain how to do that.

I'm satisfied with the level of details you gave in your responses, thank you all.

P.S. And I'm sorry, I don't know how to quote from different replies or is that possible at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe it was unnecessary all along. I don't know.
    Unnecessary because totally irrelevant and you should know now because it was explained multiple times. The ability or lack thereof of booting an external media has nothing to do with the installed OS, if any. It's OS installation 101. Hopefully now you understand better the contents and tone of some of the replies above. Good luck with Windows (you'll definitely need it).

Beans

This post is referring exclusively to the last post.

Being a PC user requires dealing with multiple intricacies, the number of which would be enough to fill a dozen of books. To help with this there are experienced users and experts. For every branch of human knowledge and technology there is a majority that is a layman and there is a minority that is experts. If users of a certain technology knew everything about it expert advice wouldn't be necessary.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the majority of PC users aren't acquainted with OS installation 101 let alone terms like live USB or live DVD (not necessary to explain it, I'm just stating an example).

The term "tone" I think can be used in the context of your response which contains responses like " Unnecessary because totally irrelevant and you should know now because it was explained multiple times.", " It's OS installation 10", and especially in the parenthesis " Good luck with Windows (you'll definitely need it)". This response, especially the thing written in the parenthesis, sounded condescending. It's sometimes hard to judge someone's intentions only through written word so if I misjudged you, It wasn't intentional.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ivan23m View Post
    Being a PC user requires dealing with multiple intricacies, the number of which would be enough to fill a dozen of books. To help with this there are experienced users and experts. For every branch of human knowledge and technology there is a majority that is a layman and there is a minority that is experts. If users of a certain technology knew everything about it expert advice wouldn't be necessary.
    We're in agreement, 100%

Also, I'm pretty sure that the majority of PC users aren't acquainted with OS installation 101 let alone terms like live USB or live DVD (not necessary to explain it, I'm just stating an example).
    Again, agreed. The vast majority of users really aren't acquainted with OS installation 101, live/installation media and so on. But those users aren't installing OSes, they are just using them to run their software. They may occasionally install additional software, muck about with a few settings but that's it, really.

OTOH, you ARE installing OSes, Linux based and Windows, for that matter. You don't need to be a mechanical engineer or a mechanic to drive a car but if repairing, maintaining or tuning it, then you better know what you're doing.

Your question showed your knowledge of the matter - OS installation and/or multi-booting - to be insufficient but also totally expected because the believe about "deleting an OS to install another" is quite prevalent. So, this wrong idea is something we've seen here and elsewhere too many times already. Not a problem, that's what we're here for. And post #2 explained it already: You don't need to delete Zorin (which is not Ubuntu, nor a flavor of Ubuntu), you just install windows and it'll overwrite Zorin identically to if it wasn't there. This is the answer to your question, nothing else to add. The other issue is unrelated, obviously, and it triggered and unnecessary back and forth making the thread much longer that it should be because, again, the basic knoweledge about hardware and firmware (BIOS/UEFI) needed, IMO, for anyone installing OSes in PCs wasn't there. What I mean by this is if you intend to repair your car's transmission then you better know whether it's a manual, classic automatic, DCT or CVT.

Installing OSes nowadays requires acquired knowledge about several aspects of the hardware and OS requirements, namely BIOS or UEFI and its specific requirements (particularly when dealing with Windows or any dual- or multi-booting scenario involving Windows), partitioning types, partitions & file systems (intimately related to the previous point), the different boot processes in BIOS/Legacy and UEFI... And a large etecetera.

And yes, it also requires one to be humble enough to understand when experts say things as authoritatively as your first replies here, they probably know what they're talking about. All subsequent replies as well.

The term "tone" I think can be used in the context of your response (...) sounded condescending. It's sometimes hard to judge someone's intentions only through written word so if I misjudged you, It wasn't intentional.
    No, the tone I was referring to was the general tone of the replies you got here even before my first post here, particularly the option of not responding directly to what you though was the solution but instead explaining why it wasn't, why issue A and issue B are unrelated and especially the why providing you with a "solution" for A wouldn't have any weight on B. Please go back and read the sequence. I think now you will understand it better if you read my previous long comment.
    And you're partially correct - no misjudgment - as I am at times condescending. I admit I have a problem with certain attitudes. I admit I have a problem with users not wanting to learn and thinking they know best - just answer my g'damn question that I now is the solution, I don't care about your alternative -. This always ends badly. If I misjudged your attitude, it wasn't intentional, and please fell free to post other questions if you're willing to listen to others.
    The good luck with Windows part, however, it's not condescending. Everybody needs some luck with Windows and all the malware in the wild - it wasn't personal - and everybody using Windows should be aware of that.

Again, good luck in your endeavors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12